Kaumana Caves County Park Trail

Kaumana Caves County Park Trail is an out and back trail located near Hilo, HI. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking.

50 feet Out & Back

Fascinating little stop to make on the way. From what I can recall I believe theres only 2 small caves. Doesn't take too long to check both of them out.

Great for kids

Bring a strong flash light ! Good hiking shoes. It is awesome and the cave carvings of people's names and dates like 1907.! So cool! Well worth it. Cool damp and dripping . Loved it

Great little hike right near town. Wear real shoes (or Chaco-like sandles). Take a headlamp for sure.

Awesome!!! I could end the review right there and it would be enough, but I'll continue with some tips.

The Good:
- This is not your guided tour walk through a well-lit cave full of dripping stalactites and stalagmites. No this is for the adventurous who like to explore on their own.
- Restrooms are available along with a small picnic area.
- Stairs help you get into the caves.
- Parking is across the road and is plenty for the number of people who show up at one time.
- Scenic drive on your way to the caves.
- Nice and cool inside.
- Water fountain.

The Not So Good:
- I stretching here, but there are a lot of ants around the water fountain.

Here are some Tips:
- There are two tunnels when you go down the stairs. The one to the left is a little more kid-friendly. It is walkable the whole way through. There is an underground stream on the pathway, but you should be able to find places to step without getting your feet too wet. Near the end of this tunnel, there are two places you can actually come out of the tunnel and get some fresh air. My kids loved finding the source of the underground stream. I took all my kids into the left tunnel, from the 2-year old to the 11 year old. All of them made it just fine.
- RIGHT TUNNEL: I only took my 7, 9, and 11 year old kids in this one. This one is a longer tunnel and in some places larger, some places smaller than the left tunnel. We had to crawl in some parts in order to continue. There was an underground stream in this one as well; you could hear it long before you saw it. Sometimes all we could do was hear it under our feet! You have to climb a little in this tunnel as well. So think about the ability of the people in your party before you go to the right. I think it is only moderately difficult for kids, and for an experience hiker/climber, you should have no problem.

Bottom Line:
Awesome!!! I'll only add, BRING YOUR OWN GOOD FLASHLIGHT. iPhones are great, but they are horrible when you are trying to explore. You want something more powerful, and you want your hands free. I wore a headlamp, packed it in the suitcase when I planned for this trip. Definitely worth it!

Yelp!: http://www.yelp.com/biz/kaumana-caves-hilo