Kamilo Iki Ridge Trail

Kamilo Iki Ridge Trail is a 3.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, HI that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

This hike starts behind the Pahua Heiau that was built circa AD 1400. It traverses up the ridge through haole koa which then turns into a very open ridge hike with drops on both sides. It snakes up and down approximately 8-9 humps and eventually reaches the tree line. At the back of the ridge there is a switch back through the pine trees that then pops out onto the Koolau Summit Trail. Great views of Kamilo Iki and Nui Valleys stay with you all the way up. Once at the KST its a clear view of Waimanalo and Olomana all the way to Kualoa

If I were to offer 1 piece of advice...it'd be to WEAR PANTS. The trail is so overgrown. My boyfriend and I both had shorts on and the brush was constantly scraping against our legs - it got to the point where it was too painful to continue (brush was getting even thicker) so we just turned around. HOWEVER, other than that, I really liked the trail a lot and it had awesome views!. I would like to do it again (but with pants this time! haha) :)

Awesome hike/climb! Great rewarding review at the end. iPhone health tracker said it was 5.8 miles not 2.5. Easy to find and parking in the neighborhood was easy and not an issue.

Pretty easy and quick ridge hike. No crazy drop offs anywhere. Got to the top in an hour. Great view of the east side up there. First 3/4 of it has no shade so, be prepped for that.

We set off before the sun came up with only the light from our phones. Would definitely do this hike again, rewarding views.

The trail starts out rocky, but a good kind of rocky. They were almost like steps and when the sky started lashing us with driving rains, it didn't get slick. The first part is out in the open, then you get cover under the trees. Some areas I was huffing, but we always try to hike for time. It wasn't a clear day, and the clouds kept playing peek-a-boo with the turquoise waters of Waimanalo. Usually I'm a one & done with trails, but this one I'd do again.

The plus for this hike is the extra KST traverse towards the Tom Tom Trail. We wanted to at least check out the top of Kamilo Nui Valley saddle that connects to the KST. This is the original leeward side of the Tom Tom Trail. We could see the overgrown jeep roads still marking the switchbacks into the valley. The Kamilo Nui valley traverse starting from Kuapa (now Hawaii Kai drive) followed the valley up the back to the crest and down a spur to Waimanalo. This was a popular journey for Hawaiians in the 1800. It was later rediscovered in the 1920's by Thomas McGuire and Thomas Cadle - after which the trail is now named - Tom Tom.

The views from here are majestic. Although this is a pretty hot hike, its well worth it. Bring lots of water and be sure to wear a hat.