Kamananui Valley Road Trail

Kamananui Valley Road Trail is a 6.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, HI that features a river. The trail is good for all skill levels offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trail begins at the end of Moanalua Valley at Moanalua Valley Park. The trail starts as a road barred by a green gate. The road eventually turns to an unimproved road and later a narrow trail. The trail to the top of the haiku stairs is also on this trail approximately 2 miles past the trailhead

Nice shaded running trail.

Good distance! Beautiful scenery, valley trail. Crap ton of mosquitos in the beginning. Fun bridge/stream crossings and muddy af on some parts. Lush vegetation and easy!

Good hike. Easy for my 4year old and me, baby wearing a 1 year old. Very muddy and lots of mosquitoes around mile 3. Lots of fun.

A favorite hike! This is a well maintained valley hike with great scenery, birds, and a nice breeze. The hike is gorgeous, the stream is refreshing, and it's easy going overall. Great for dogs, but we ran into some hunting dogs so just keep an eye out

Very easy. Lots to see but alot of its hidden. Shortly after starting the structure of the old Damon house is on the left. The last bridge has a giant Boulder with petroglyphs. Some say you can hike to the end and use the Moanaloa Saddle to connect to Haiku Stairs.

Very beautiful hike and wasn't at all difficult. The only disappointing part was the very end.

Very beautiful and easy hike!

Easy hike and great way to get to stairway, tripler, middle ridge and all kinds of trails. Lots of vegetation and wildlife signs. Cool hike.

Great easy hike, lots of stream crossings, cool vegetation, wide trail perfect for dogs.

Hiked most of the trail today, until my 9 year old started whining! made it about 2 miles in before we turned around, and I think it would have been great to finish. easy hike for kids, had a few muddy spots, and very shallow water crossings, but nothing g crazy. parking sucked, but we went on a Saturday at 10.

Went hiking with the Boy Scouts I work with to finish off the hiking merit badge. We needed another 10 mile hike, and this was a great choice. We hiked the Kamananui Trail and then continued to the Kulana'ahane trail to complete the 5 miles out and back. Here is my review of the Kamananui Trial (you can also read my review of the Kulana'ahane section on this website):

Length: 3 miles (one-way)
Terrain: gentle rise/fall
Difficulty: EASY
Facilities: Bathroom at the parking lot
Website: http://hawaiitrails.ehawaii.gov/trail.php?TrailID=OA+12++010&island=Oahu
Yelp: http://www.yelp.com/biz/moanalua-valley-trail-moanalua-2

The Good:
- Very easy trail
- Lots of vegetation for cover from the sun.
- Stream crossings allow for water collection if necessary.
- Some places allow camping!
- Signs along the way give historical and botanical information
- Geocaching available!

The Not so Good:
- Bugs. Bring spray.
- Stream crossings. Most of these have bridges. If you hike this after it has rained a lot, you might get wet. The trail may even be impassable, so take care.

Bottom Line: Great trail for a family hike (if the distance is okay). Easy to follow; rise/fall in elevation is easy. I'd go here again with a mountain bike! Also, the park is open from 7am-7pm, but we went at 6am and the gate was open.

NOTE: We only hiked until the intersection of the Kulana'ahane trail. The main trail continues to the right for some distance more.

Short, fun, and sloppy. Seven stream crossings and several rock fields. A couple of spots will smoke your legs (and lungs).

Great trail, will be doing it again, only got a chance to go 3.2miles.. Great for family hikes

Did part of this hike on Saturday with the Sierra Club. It was nice change of pace (beginner/family) friendly hike. However, I know there is an additional trail further up called the Kulana'ahane trail, which takes you up to the Moanalua Saddle and the Koolau Summit. However, I didn't have a chance to complete it, since the scheduled event was a beginner hike. I plan to go back there this weekend to finish it. For the most part the Valley trail seems mostly flat, and easy walking. The valley also, has a lot of history. Beautiful place!

Arriving at trail head I was informed by a group of hikers that the river was "raging"... I made it 1.5 miles before I was unable to find a place to cross over the river. I took a path off to the right that lead up the mountain high above the river... Then decided to turn back. Took another path just to check it out, it too headed up the mountain, but the pathway became very tight with trees, so again I was defeated and headed back to the trail head. The path was muddy and you could see along the edge of the path the tall grass had been laid over by what I assume was rushing water! I was unprepared for the attack of the Mosquitos! If your going on this hike make sure to use mosquito replant! Also take a buddy if its not the dry season, I would have attempted to cross the river if I wasn't solo. There was a path leading to some historical remains of houses at the beginning if the path, which was pretty neat. I will have to attempt this one again.

The Kulanaahane Trail does not lead to the Stairway to Heaven. In order to do that trail the "legal" way you have to do the Tripler Ridge trail. This trail head branches off on the left after 2.6 miles in. It's a very fun wild hike. It's maintained up to a certain point until you get to the bottom of the mountain. Then you get to climb a finger of the mountain ridge that ends up overlooking the H3. If wet it would be pretty difficult but there is rope for most of the tough spots. There are warning signs at the top for loose rock but if you stay at the clearing you are fine. The location of the Stairway to Heaven from this point is way off to the right. I tried following a barely used trail off to the right but it got scary fast and ended up being almost completely loose rock with no flat area to travel on. You would need some serious climbing gear to make it past that point. Off to the left of the clearing is a little marker where people have left leis and necklaces. The hike is only 4 miles total including the 2.6 miles to the actual trial entrance. You cross a stream more times than you can count and my whole party got our feet wet at some point or another. Definitely bring bug spray and plenty of water. This is not for casual walkers. I wouldn't bring anyone who isn't willing to hike 8 miles with potential discomfort from heat, bugs etc. But definitely the view is worth it!

this is a great trail with plenty of other side trails to complete. my sister and I ventured up the trail by marker 12 and had a blast! it lead up a mountain and then continued along the ridge. the difficulty of the valley road itself is quite easy, however the trail off of marker 12 was more on the "you need to be experienced" side, as it does involve climbing up a mountain at a very steep grade. we spent a total of 5 hours hiking through the valley then up the mountain and along the ridge line then back. I loved every second of it, and I cant wait to try some of the other side trails!

This is a very beautiful jungle hike with lots of singing birds and amazing plant life. At the beginning of the trail is a palm tree that has been completely enveloped into another tree! (sorry don't know the name of the tree) The stream was dry until we got to the end where there was a little running water. We tasted some of the guava growing on the trail and the road was well maintained although a little muddy in some parts. We'll definitely be back here, it was easy, beautiful and we felt alone even though the parking lot was full. :)