Kaau Crater

Kaau Crater is a 4.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Honolulu, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

rock climbing

old growth

This is an amazing hike with three waterfalls and gorgeous views of Honolulu, Kaneohe, Kailua, Diamond Head, and Ka'au Crater. Some sections are closed due to volcanic activity. Check with the rangers.

WOW!!!! difficult trail; not for the faint-hearted. I did the full loop, which took me just under 5 hours to complete. Started at 8:30AM and finished at about 12:00PM; fortunately the weather was on my side and remained cloudy for the majority of the hike. I can't imagine doing this in the summer with the sun beating down.
Very slippery, so wear the right shoes. I recommend gloves; I did not have any and payed the price the following day. Bring water; I carried a 2.5 liter Camelback and ran out at about 3/4 of the trail.
Definitely not a running trail, be ready to walk, crawl, slide, slip, and jump your way through this very challenging trail.
Good luck.

Most epic trail run (more of a hike) I've ever done.. really muddy.. lots of ropes to go up and down steep climbs, as well as ropes going up to the crater along side of a waterfall for about 300ft
Water falls are beautiful

Beautiful waterfalls. Ropes were good and trails were marked well. Very muddy-plan to get your feet wet at some point. Great hike!

Awesome view bring lots of snacks and water so much fun

A truly awesome adventure!

Aloha!
I'll be hiking this tomorrow morning at 830. I have a group of 5 so if you'd like to join email me at @ venturealoha@gmail.com for more info and rates.

Mahalo,

Steven

Very difficult and potentially deadly hike (there have been accidents) with limited views. Go in the morning, as it might take 6-8 hours to complete and the last thing you need is to rush back through the mud, cliffs and slippery stones to make it back before dark (as it will be nearly impossible to get out after dark and it's a scary thought to spend the night in the jungle).

Clouds at the top but still rate this as one of the best I've seen here! I got 6.2 miles total on gps though, not 4.5.

Great views of the crater, town and the east side. It's fun climbing up the waterfall, and there are ropes to get up with no problem. You can also loop the crater rim which takes longer than the normal out and back

Beautiful hike. Awesome views at the top. Closer to 6 miles than 4.5. This will take most people 5 hours to fully complete. I think we did it in 4:30 and that was moving faster than anyone else we saw on the trail that day.
Definitely do this one on a dry day with at least one dry day before. This would be close to impossible in muddy conditions. We went on a dry day following two prior dry days and the conditions were fine.
As another reviewer wrote, stay close to the stream and the drain pipes and you'll be on the right trail.
Also get there early as there are only about 6 parking spaces.
NOT DOG FRIENDLY!

Awesome and tiring. We did this with a nine year old and she smoked us. Don't use you kids as an excuse, this hike is amazing.

I loved this hike. I typically go barefoot when I hike and I would recommend this to everyone. It's a mud filled hike so prepare to get dirty and if you aren't wearing the correct shoes you will not be having such a fun time. Beautiful view from the top, three waterfalls and a switch back route. Enjoy.