Kaau Crater

Kaau Crater is a 4.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Honolulu, HI that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November.

rock climbing

old growth

This is an amazing hike with three waterfalls and gorgeous views of Honolulu, Kaneohe, Kailua, Diamond Head, and Ka'au Crater

Awesome island hike experience. The flora is incredible, the views of the city after you pass the third waterfall are incredible. Thanks to other hikers that took the time to strategically place ropes we were able to make it to the highest point of the hike. The trail is marked with pink and orange ribbons. As long as you follow the pipeline you should be able to make it to the 3rd waterfall without a problem. Things to know: there are A LOT of mosquitos so be prepared. Park on the street, the entrance is next to the mailboxes at the top of the road. Bring lots of water and snacks. Recommend to bring it inside a back pack. It can easily take 6-8 + to complete. Hiking poles were very little help. If you bring them make sure you can clip them to your bag as you will need both hands many times during this hike. Don't recommend for kids unless they are experienced
The hike to the falls is moderate with several hard areas. However, it is HARD all the way if you plan to complete the entire loop. Ropes help but it is still very demanding and scary at times.
I loved it!! It's a must do. You will get muddy!

difficult, muddy terrain but worth the hike!

Amazing jungle, waterfalls, ridge, crater and mountain peak

Amazing trail! This trail has everything you could want.
Most of the trail was muddy, waterfalls were gorgeous and make sure you leave early enough to make it back before dark. Wear good footwear, bring lots of water.
The trail was decently marked, although on the return there was a few moments I questioned myself.
Definitely not moderate! This trail will test you, but it's worth every step.

Dangerous! Tons of fun! Did it in the rain start to finish (yikes) a couple weeks ago just the loop portion not summit so a little short of a 5 mile hike. Wore my Virbram Spyridon shoes!Comfort is important!! Not a fast hiker but me and my friend took just under 5 hours to do it with probably a 5 minute break at the first waterfall and a 2 minute break after the third. Gorgeous!!! Different terrain, rope climbs, super muddy. Fell and slipped several times. You really need to focus and be cautious on this trail. Definitely NOT a beginner hike!! Felt super proud I accomplished it! Said I would never go back lol.

Definitely NOT a moderate trail! My friends and I aren't the fastest, but it took us almost 8 hours to do the entire loop (8:45am - 5:00pm). Would not recommend doing the whole hike if you're afraid of hikes or are not properly prepared (good hiking shoes, lots of water, etc). Turn around at the third and last waterfall if you need to.

Aside from that, probably some of the most breathtaking views on the island if it is clear out. It is a hike that should be done at least once in your life. Oh and make sure you bring bug spray.

Forecast rain. I figured its a moderate trail, i should be ok. Wrong. This trail was hard and potentially dangerous in places.

At first i was a bit disappointed. Following a pipeline was not so much fun. Then the first waterfall. Gorgeous. Now im happy. Then more waterfalls. :-) Going up the long one was easy because of my boot spikes. Wouldn't want to do this trail without them. As I reached 1700 feet, it was windy and the view was breathtaking. It was nearly vertical in the mud from there. I was glad for the ropes. Even the steel spikes were slipping. At the top 2440 ft, I couldn't see a thing. Clouds and wind. A lot of it. After the power lines, the trail forked. Left is the right way. Right is for another day. The descent was very dangerous. By that time (it's raining) water was running down the trail. Many potential places to get in serious trouble. No traction in most placed. Mud mud mud. Lots of soft and hard mud.
Just before i reached the road, I stopped to clean up in the river. I had thick mud up to my knees.
It was a hard trail. The view of the crater was very cool. I wish the clouds would have let out for a bit.

Slippery so be careful, gorgeous views though and an abundance of fruits and avocado along the way. One of my favorite Oahu hikes!

I did this hike on July 4th 2016 I started at about 6 15 am and it was my first time doing the hike and I really had no idea where to go or how it was going to work out. But the hike was amazing I really underestimated how difficult the trail was going to be once I got up to the crater and proceeded to hike the loop because the weather was terrible and it was raining and very windy and I have forgot my backpack at home so I had no food or water and I slipped multiple times which is really uncommon for me. but the views are amazing I unfortunately didn't get a chance to enjoy that privilege considering it was incredibly cloudy and visibility was new 0. I definitely got lost coming back down the back way. and I wasted a lot of time wondering what I should do or which direction I should go because I always go hiking by myself. I did the hike in about three and a half hours which from what I hear it's pretty fast especially considering I didn't know the trail at all end I didn't have NE resources available. you can watch my YouTube video of the experience. channel name. jmacmalcolm... then look for ka'au crater video.

hard not moderate

Very beautiful until the forecast prediction was wrong(what's new) we got to 2000 feet and it started to rain and turned very dangerous. Wished I had my micro spikes or cramp-one after that cause all I did was slide. Had to turn around but all together before the rain was very pretty. Would not recommend to novice hikers. You have to rope climb up waterfalls.

Awesome but the difficulty should be hard

first hike on the island. glad we decided to do it last min. started at 3 made it to the top and back down( not around). finished by 730. very muddy but worth it for the views.

Be sure to check the weather if you're attempting to hike the entire crater. Started to rain when we got to the top and made the trail really difficult to hike. It's recommended if you have shoes with a lot of grip because the mud could slide you off the ridge.

First of all this is an absolutely amazing and challenging hike. My husband and I both clocked this hike on our fit bits and we got 8.6 miles all the way around the crater to the top in a counter clockwise manner. This hike is not for the faint of heart and I found it to be challenging in quite a few parts. I definitely would not go it alone. I went through 3.5 liters of water but due to medical issues I always hydrate. My husband is infantry in the Army and rucks/runs a few times a week he did much better than me of course. Things that are must haves on this hike are gloves, cleats that go over the hiking shoe, pants, head lamp and for me hiking poles...oh and lots of water and snacks. I would most definitely leave before 9am if you plan to do the whole thing with stops. The waterfalls are gorgeous and as a photographer I enjoyed the views and long exposures I got to do. If your not good with heights, vertical climbing and some bouldering this might not be for you. It truly has everything packed into one hike. My favorite hike so far here in Hawaii.

We went on a rainy day. This was our hardest trail on the island so far! I imagine only the Olomana 3 peaks is harder. Light Rock climbing and moderate rope climbing. Plenty of spots to slip and fall to your doom. The best spot to have lunch is immediately after you climb the third major waterfall. Do not attempt if you have any limitations that would prevent you from climbing almost vertically. It took our group almost five hours with minimal breaks, we consisted of Soldiers and had a rough time regardless. This needs to be upgraded in difficulty to hard, especially since this is much harder than the Waimano falls trail.

Awesome