Hahaione Trail

Hahaione Trail is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, HI that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

3.3 miles 2080 feet Out & Back

old growth

After two dry river crossing, it is pretty much straight up climb to the Koolaus. There areseveral rope sections but not difficult. Some parts can be slippery due to pine needles/seeds. Shouldn't take too long to reach the top with views of Waimanalo etc... There are many forks along this trail but keep left in the beginning secton until you hit the ridgeline. You will reach tree with two arrows. Take right to gain the ridge. Also, you will pass a encampment with a blue sofa! The trail in general is in good condition and you can feel the cool breeze.

I went up the hunting trail to the right. Great hike. About 4.5 miles round trip. Only negatives is there is more litter on this trail than I've seen on all the other trails I've done.

Loved the rope climbing at the top of the trail, beautiful views!

It is amazing!!!!!! I would use his app when hiking though because towards the beginning you can get lost at a couple points. Bring water and gaterade and more water and gaterade. The scene is worth going all the way up but be careful because it is slippery with mud in some parts. If you're older or have knee problems I advice not to go the entire way (can easily lose balance and fall). Make sure you bring enough food too, it is a workout. It took us about 3.5-4hrs because it is a constant slight uphill.

One area by the peak is very steep and slippery if it rained recently.

We started at Hahaione and hiked over to Kuliouou. Beautiful and shady. When we got closer to Kuliouou trail we had to hike down side of mountain and it was steep, but doable since it hasn't rained much lately. Would be too slippery in wet conditions. Loved the whole journey. Didn't see any other hikers until very end.

We completed this loop in 2:55. By the time we got out, it was already sundown. It is best to do this hike with ample day light as it can be tricky finding your way with this many forks and off trails along this loop.