Crater Rim Trail is a 10.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Hawaii National Park, HI that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round.
Directions from Park Entrance: Follow Crater Rim Road to the Kilauea visitor center. The trailhead begins from the visitor center parking area.
There are so many trails around the crater rim. Some sections were closed when we went, so this only covers those areas that were open (mostly on the East side).
- Great views for most of the trail!
- Vegetation changes from rocky to lush and back.
- Steam vents along one section are fun and warm you up on a colder day.
- Trail intersects many other trails. Explore!
- Parking spots all along the trail so you can start and stop where you like.
- Easy. Everyone can hike this trail.
The Not So Good:
- No water. Bring your own.
- Some areas are in full sun. Plan accordingly.
- Some sections are closed due to volcanic activity. Check with the rangers.
Bottom Line: All trails around here are fun. Pick one and explore!