Captain Cook's Monument Trail

Captain Cook's Monument Trail is a 3.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Captain Cook, HI. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

1 hour ago

Grass and rocks... but I got engaged so that made it way better!!!!!!!

I did this hike early morning in October 2016. I was 6 months pregnant (walked 4 miles 4x week) and found this hike enjoyable. Going down was fun, Beautiful, and easy. It took about an hour or so to get down but we kept stopping for selfies because it's so beautiful. Getting back up was the tough part but I enjoyed the challenge. My group consisted of my 15 year old son who plays football and he was the first to make it back out in just over an hour and 45 min.
My 40 yr old BIL (in fair shape) was 10 min behind him, my 40 yr old SIL (out of shape) 30min behind him and then my 68 yr old mom (in fair shape) took her 5 HOURS to get out!! She couldn't keep her heart rate down and struggled the entire way making it only 20 yards at a time then having to sit. She isn't over weight and doesn't have any health problems that we are aware of (but after this experience she said she was going to go get her heart checked.)
I had to hike out without her because I had the keys to the car and everyone was waiting. I drove them to our condo and returned to help her out while she took her time. I felt great but it was a challenge.
So be very aware of your condition level if you do this hike. It's very strenuous. If it were mid summer we would've had to call for rescue team because of the heat.
Go early in the morning. We had the snorkeling to ourselves. Right as we got out of the water the boats showed up with all the tourists and the sun wasn't too hot by that time.
I enjoyed this hike enough that I wanted to return the next day with my husband but time didn't allow.
Finding the trail was hard. It's not marked by name. It just has a warning sign at the head of the trail telling you to think twice about following the trail. We found that funny in the beginning but by the time my mom mAde it out it made more sense. She says you should think three times before going on it. :)

It was a really hard trail but totally worth doing it. Great spot for snorkeling and swimming.

Nice trail ! You need to be prepare to walk into a very big tall grass forest during the half of the trail ! The grass was taller than us and the trail was really tiny so no air ! It is easy to go to the ocean bay, really harder to go back !! It totally worth the time and the effort ! You need to have plenty of water. It's a beautiful snorkeling place, probably one of the better on this island !

on a hot, sunny, voggy, muggy day running this just before sunset (or at first light) is key. because it was only mildly uncomfortably hot I was able to run the full distance pretty hard (the 7+miles out and back in well under an hour, including a few minute stop at the bottom to enjoy the rewarding view of the gorgeous bay). i found the climb out fairly technical trail running, but totally runnable (I heart running hills - the longer, steeper, and more technical the better!)

This hike is no joke ( bc of the heat mostly). Come prepared with proper hiking shoes and lots of water.

My boyfriend and I did this hike on a Monday at about 10am in flip flops carrying bags containing our snorkeling gear. The hike down was not so bad (other than the over grown grass and rocks every step of the way).

The snorkeling was great! And we were glad we didn't pay for a charter to get there since the hike was free! And since it was a Monday there were very few charter boats there.

Now the hike back up at 3pm was hell!! It was 95-100 degrees, and all uphill! I barely made it through the first part which is the hardest. It's just so so hot. Once we passed the second marker, things got a bit better. At the end we were hot, sweaty, and tired but glad we did it.

Notes:
- use bug spray - if you don't you'll be eaten alive
- there are 8 markers along the way. If you find the hike hard by marker 4, turn around. The way up is significantly more difficult than going down.
- on the return hike, stick to your right at the fork. You'll see what I mean. There's a white ribbon to guide you right.

Tough tough hike mostly due to heat. It is misleading as well because you hike down first and up the way back.

The hike itself was average as there were few sights or changes of scenery but Kealakekua Bay was beautiful and I'll likely do the hike again before I leave.

It was over grown the grass is so sharp it cuts like sharp razor blades. It's so humid and the grass lets no air circulation in. I hated this hike!!!

Amazing trail. Super fun. The views are fantastic. I did it later in the day. Normally the snorkeling is super crowded from charter boats. Getting there late insures the place to yourself. The free hike is such a better choice then the 100$+ charter boat to drive you. Keep an eye out for wild hogs and goats along the trail.

Easy on the way down hard on the way up. Snorkeling is amazing.

Great, As long is you snorkel,which was awesome

sea kayaking

The best snorkeling place of Hawaii. It was a long hike but at the end, it was very rewarding. We hiked with well equipped it snorkeling where The ocean was very quiet and tons of fish over there. The yellow tan is my favorite fish and it was everywhere

Great views and different terrain made for a good day

Be ware it is 3.6 miles and 1263 feet. There are other things to do in this island.

Nothing new to report aside from what others have said. Going down isn't terribly difficult, but good shoes or hiking sandals are a must. When they mention the exposure to the elements they are not joking, all the way up there is only a handful of shaded patches and the air can be deathly still so you may sweat through everything you are wearing. Having said that, the views at the bottom are great, the monument (to the left) is neat and the snorkeling was simply amazing. You also have the satisfaction knowing that you experienced it the most difficult way (only other options are to be on a boat or to paddle in).

Great, the water was very clear and schools of fish came very close to shore. The descent is deceptive, the ascent from the water is a killer if you're not prepared (bring water and fruit).

Finding the trail was the most difficult part--besides running out of water for the hike back up. Bring water, lunch, snorkeling gear, and a camera. So beautiful!

Great trail! Easy to follow, clean and a great little work out. We started on the trail early at around 6:30 am and got to the snorkel spot before anyone else. We snorkeled before all of the charter boats and kayak tours arrived. As it started to get busy we packed up and headed out. Beautiful morning hike. I would not say this trail is hard, but bring a hat, plenty of water and if you are not an avid hiker, take small breaks on your way up and enjoy the view.

Great, but definitely not easy. It is moderate and people that are not at least a little bit athletic should not attempt.