Canyon Trail to Waipoo Falls

Canyon Trail to Waipoo Falls is a 2.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Kekaha, HI that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

37 minutes ago

Very beautiful, wonderful views of the canyon. Mud was a bit slippery so be aware of that.

We did this hike after an 7-miler elsewhere in the canyon, so we were a little worn out by the time we got to it. The woman at the lodge lead us to believe that the trail would be relatively flat. In actuality, there were many ups and downs and several steep grades. We didn't have a problem with mud, as it was a dry day, but the loose dust was definitely slippery. The waterfall was pretty cool. We continued past the falls to the right and up onto the opposite bank. You have to muscle through some dense vegetation, but you emerge into a small clearing on the left bank on top of the second level of the waterfall. Be careful though, because one wrong move or misstep could send you over the edge of the falls.

Amazingly! Took the trail in to the waterfall headed back and took the road at the fork in the trail. The road beat going up the sleek muddy path.

fantastic trail, the views are amazing, take water with you and good hiking/exercise shoes as it can get a bit steep.

The views are breath taking. I personally don't think this trail is kid friendly 12+.

Great for running. Well maintained and fairly easy but still very interesting. I love this one!

Beautiful hike!! Fun for everyone, a must do!

This was an end of the day hike, we had already done a much longer, and in theory more challenging hike in Koke'e State Park earlier in the day. No signal up in the park, so a state park employee told us that this was the most popular hike, was only two miles each way and was fairly flat. Not the case. Parts of the route are quite steep and will get very slippery when wet. Closer to the falls you walk along the top of a cliff and down the side. Hold on to young children. This part of the path is not maintained and was very dusty and loose under foot. The final routes to the two falls viewing locations: one is very narrow and the other takes you over large boulders. Space is limited for both. The route to the falls is mostly down, meaning that the rout back is mostly up hill and a some level of fitness is needed. Great views, but the trail could be better maintained.

It was a bit tough since there is a lot of up hill, but also a lot of down, muddy at times but not bad at all. Some girls were in sandals, but I recommend shoes for sure. One of the coolest hikes I've ever done though. Totally worth it, the canyon view is incredible and the end of the trail ends up at the top of waipoo falls which is just amazing. Also, a side waterfall at the top which is nice to take a break at...The way back is hard for those who aren't in the best of shape, lots of up hill. Overall, beautiful hike- highly recommend!

In dry conditions, this was an excellent hike with breathtaking views. Families with children can do the hike. However, it can be fairly steep, so good shoes with traction soles are key. Hiking sticks or poles are highly advisable, especially with the steep final section down to the falls.

After rain, in mud, this would be an unadvisable trail and even dangerous in sections.

My husband and I went right after it rained, which is not recommended. But we were there and decided to see how it would. Very slippery! I slipped twice. Having a walking step definitely helped though once we found some. But after a mile or so into it, it was drying out some. The views were absolutely worth it. The falls were nice, but the highlight was the view of the canyon when you get closer to the falls.

Little muddy but super worth the effort. Beautiful!!

Great hike, Waterfalls are great

A must do!

Great trail with beautiful canyon, ocean, jungle, and waterfall views. As others have said, it was pretty slippery. I definitely wouldn't have attempted if it had just rained or was currently raining. Lots of tree cover, so it kept us from getting too hot.

The trail has a lot of ups and downs and uneven ground. There were a few spots that were muddy and slippery from recent rain. The trees provided a lot of shade. You end up at the top of Waipoo Falls with a breathtaking view of Waimea Canyon, the arch, and the ocean. Hiking boots recommended as I lost my footing a few times with my running shoes. It took us 2.5 hours round trip including a few breaks along the way.