Aihualama Trail

Aihualama Trail is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, HI that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

old growth

Directions from Honolulu: There are two ways to get there: 1. Via the Manoa Cliff Trail: From Round Top Drive, hike in on Manoa Cliff Trail to the Pauoa Flats junction (there is a system trail map here). Proceed on Pauoa Flats Trail past the Nuuanu Trailhead (which is on the left). The next trail (on the right) is Aihualama. 2. Via Manoa Falls Trail: Follow Manoa Road into the back of Manoa Valley. Manoa Road ends at Paradise Park. Continue up the road, through the parking lot, towards the entrance of Lyon Arboretum. At the sharp left bend in the road to Lyon, proceed straight ahead. This is the Manoa Falls parking area and trailhead. Hike 0.8 miles on Manoa Falls Trail. Approximately 150 feet from the base of the Falls, there is a marked trail that proceeds left. This is Aihualama Trail.

Fun hike. Real shaded and awesome view when you get to the top

Great hike

Boring no real awesome scenic points. Steady incline good work out only.

this hike is very basic and almost therapeutic the way you just continue on through all the bamboo. definitely nice to get away from monoa falls cluster of hikers. I jogged some of the way because it was just flat and I knew I wanted to get up to where the trails converge and I take the trail going up to oversee the pali highway. my question is...can you get down from there to the pali highway parking to go into the water Reservoir? I tried one time to hike from the reservoir side to the monoa falls side and got lost half way up the mountain to my dismay. I know there is a small secret trail that goes up to the ridge and you have to use ropes to scale the trail going up. I had my dog with me when I stumbled upon this small trail and it was too difficult for her to stay with me as I used the ropes going up. well non the less the hike is fun and going down took me like only 1 hr. at most.

really nice senery through a bamboo forest but beware, dont even try to keep your shoes relatively clean. youre better off accepting defeat and just stepping in the mud. fallen bamboo along the way makes great walking sticks for support and poking through the muddy parts. total hike from the parking l including manoa falls portion is 8 miles round trip. it was alot longer than i was expecting but the view at the top was worth it.

The hike was great and the view were amazing

You have to take Manoa falls to get to this and once you do, it feels great because there is hardly anyone on it as opposed to how crowded manoa falls is.. and it leads you to Pauoa flats lookout about an hour up! And a bunch of other pretty neat trails hook up up there as well,

What a great trail run!

Pretty nice and quiet hike. A couple of areas were covered with roots and we loved the bamboo forest.

Loved this trail. It's definitely quiet. Nice bamboo forest.

Very very muddy trail. The trail head starts right before Manoa Falls. To me it was pretty difficult but the view was completely worth it. Lots of bamboo! I would do this hike again.

Pleasant short trail and a perfect getaway from the very busy Manoa Falls. Nice views of Manoa Valley along the way. Good for kids. There is a rooty banyan section that makes for an interesting walk through, a land slide section that is now regraded, a zen bamboo section and if you turn right at the junction to Pauoa Flats lookout - a great view of Nuianu Valley. A great way to spend a couple of hours of a day in solitude so close to the city.

Beautiful bamboo forest.. Didn't see a single person on this trail. We did a good mile left its not very clearly marked. It definitely went on further.., pretty sure it links up to another trail after the flats.

I was surprised at how short and populated the Manoa Falls trail was, so I was glad to find this cut-off right at the falls. I planned to only go a short ways and then turn back to the falls, but I was so happy with the trail that I continued on the whole way (until it joins up with the Pauoa Flats Trail). Many switchbacks and very cool bamboo forest at the top. A pleasant remote hike very close to the city.

It's a nice pretty connector trail, which one can start out at Manoa falls, take towards a look out over Pali highway, and take towards the highest peak on the ridge.

This hike is a side hike right near the Manoa Falls (to the left as you approach the waterfall). We kind of did it in a hurried fashion because it was about to rain but it is a nice relaxing hike through bamboo forests and then you go up some switchbacks to a nice overlook of the whole valley. This is where we turned back but the trail continued. I am pretty confident in saying this is more than .9 of a mile as well.

Wish I would have looked at the reviews first. I got to the split and turned back. Beware it can be quite muddy at times.

Na Ala Hele recently cleared & restored this trail. So it was recently re-opened the end of December 2013. It is a beautiful and quiet well maintained trail once you get past Manoa falls via the Manoa falls trail.

Once you get to the Pauoa Flats Junction you can either go to the right and stop at the Nuuanu Valley Overlook. Or go left and do a longer hike to Pu'u Ohi'a. On this family hike we decided to go up to the Nuuanu Valley overlook and call it a day.

As an update, I hiked this trail back in September 2013 and a huge section about 3/4 of the way to the top experienced a landslide. Although it is passable, caution is strongly advised.