Toccoa River Trail

Toccoa River Trail is a 9.1 mile out and back trail located near Suches, GA and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

the directions take you to the swinging bridge. with all of the recent drought, there are a lot of false trails. the trail markers are kind of faded around the bridge. my dog and I ended up at Appalachian Trail and Benton MacKaye Trail Junction. that would have been fine, but the spring along the way was dried up.
I've since looked over the map and directions and still can't decipher the brown squiggly line that's supposed to be the route.
guess I'll try again with extra supplies in case I go off course again.

the area itself is beautiful and the swinging bridge is interesting. my dog hated the bridge though. the way I went was steep, so be prepared for that. I logged 148 floors climbed and descended.

My husband and I (and our dog) parked by the swinging bridge and hiked up to Bryson's Gap and back. All together just shy of 8 miles that is pretty straight uphill for the first 2. Took us just shy of four hours and we didnt run into a single other person until we returned to the swinging bridge. Great hike and will definately do it again - especially once the leaves are down so we can take in what look to be some pretty amazing views.

We entered the trail from Route 60. There is a parking lot on the West side of the road. The access road was closed to all traffic so we took the trail that was clearly marked to the left of the access road. As another reviewer states, there is an initial climb at least 45 minutes. Most of the path is wide but some parts are narrow and weedy. When you get to the end of the three miles (it took us about 2 hours traveling with a small dog), you can hear the river. You descend steeply to get to the Taccoa Swinging Bridge. We took the access road on the way back. You can clearly see where the trail from the bridge splits. Take the left fork for the access road. We reached the car in about 1 hour 15 minutes (so we saved 45 minutes than hiking back the trail). Take snacks. There is a large cleared out area by the river you can sit and rest and enjoy the scenery.

The gravel road was bad but the Benton mackeye trail was worth it.

This was a trail that started off really steep for the first 45 minutes or so. As you climbed the mountian, through the trees, you could see great views of the country side. After about three hours, you reach the Toccoa River and the amazing pedestrian bridge. If you do not want to take the trail back, there is a gravel road that doesn't change in elevation much. Highly recommended.

Nice trail with some decent elevation gain at the beginning (from HWY 60) to the ridge, and then a nice decent to the river. The swinging bridge is well worth the trip. Great camping areas as well as nice spots for a lunch along the stream.

Although there is also a forest service road that leads to a much shorter hike to the bridge, we preferred the hike.