Stone Mountain Walk-Up Trail

Stone Mountain Walk-Up Trail is a 2.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Stone Mountain, Georgia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Beautiful view up the top. Try to time it to reach just before sunset!

Nice place to walk and hike

I grew up in Stone Mountain, this walk up the rock is almost required for metro Atlanta residents. It needs to be labeled 'Heavily Trafficked', you will always have company up and down no matter the weather. Remember the walk up before there was a nice picnic pavilion half way?

My favorite trail. If you are lucky enough to live nearby and hike this trail everyday you will get yourself in great shape! The views are spectacular. You will meet people from all over the world hiking this trail; all seem to have a positive healthy energy about them.

My husband and I hiked Stone Mountain today. The weather was amazing and the trail is well maintained. We enjoyed taking photographs, reading the carvings in the stone, and eating snacks at the summit. This was a chance to bond with nature as well as each other. I recommend this hike for athletes as well as families. The view of downtown is amazing. $15 per carload and plenty of free parking inside. $40 for annual pass if you plan on going more frequently.

My wife and I were in Atlanta for the weekend and hiked Stone Mountain. It was a lovely hike and we enjoyed taking photos. This location is close to Downtown Atlanta, if you have a car, It is a clean and easy hike for everybody.

Some of the best barefoot running trails in Atlanta! The smooth rocks on the main walk up trail are almost continuous; only one or two places with a little bit of crushed gravel to tiptoe over. And the view from the top is amazing! Different in every season and weather. Truly invigorating, and well worth the climb, as there are restrooms and free water fountains at the top. On the way down I like to follow the trails just off to the right. They're completely and thoroughly pine needle lined and very smooth for running; they offer a more gradual and less impactful descent. I adore this place! And where else in Atlanta I can I find such great elevation? Just sad I can't bring the dogs there onto the mountain; they can only walk around the bottom. But really there's too many people to bring them anyway. The least crowded time is midday mid week. But if it's a beautiful day, you will definitely not be alone. It's just too good there!

Local tip: get annual pass for $45 per car I think. Totally worth it if you'll go more than 3 times. Fill your car up with your friends and family and have a blast! Having a pass makes me go more often for sure.