Sope Creek Trail

Sope Creek Trail is a 3.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Marietta, Georgia that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

$3 Parking Fee

I will start by saying this is already one of my favorite trails in the Atlanta area. We did Sope Creek via Cochran Shoals which is about 8.5 miles.

The trail is bustling, fairly flat, and had great views of the Chattahoochee river. Where we started we were able to walk along the river and get pretty close. From the beginning the trail is well marked.

Along the way, you will pass a small cemetery that lets you know you are headed the right way. About 4 miles in you get the view of Sope Creek and stacked-stone ruins. This is a nice place to take a break if needed.

Overall, the hike is great if you have some time to explore because there are so many small nuggets of treasure. Be sure to bring $3 for parking, and stay alert for the bikers!

Well shaded and beautiful fall foliage. We didn't have time to go exploring on any of the side trails so will update after my next visit. The main trail had moderate hills and turns. My dog is out of shape and this was a great hike for him. My only complaint is that it was very heavy with mountain bikers and on some of the blind turns they were flying by us. If you walk the main trail you must be very observant and be prepared to quickly jump out of their way. They were always polite but we're going very fast and some parts of the trail were narrow. Bikers aren't allowed on the side trails so we will check those out as well.

Awesome looping trails with a lot of shade!
The creek is nice to swim in the summer as well as exploring the old ruins around the creek!

Really peaceful and shaded trail. We went to the creek. It was SO beautiful.

There's also maps every turn that help you determine where to go and how to get back.

I enjoy walking downriver most. Many trails, some annoying bikers, but those need play areas too.

Not much to see a good trail of you want a quiet walk but no real views of anything but trees