Smith Creek Trail

Smith Creek Trail is a 8.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sautee Nacoochee, Georgia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

8.9 miles 1935 feet Out & Back

Directions from Helen: Take GA 75 north 1 mile. Turn right on GA 356 and drive 1.5 miles. Then go left at the entrance to Unicoi State Park. Follow the signs to Anna Ruby Falls parking area.There is a parking Fee

We had a great hike. The weather was awesome and the trail was beautiful. All the flora was full and the streams crystal clear.

great trail. hiked from the falls to Helen 8.26 miles. It cost 3.00 fee per person to drive to the falls.

awesome alternative to the main Anna Ruby falls trail.

Nice hike, has some solid terrain

Great trail. One head is by Unicoi Lake with the other at Anna Ruby Falls. Fair warning, it is $5 to get into Unicoi, then another $3/person to get into Anna Ruby Falls. This trail is really great and we hiked South to North, which is from the campground to the falls. It runs along a campground for the first part, then starts to climb pretty gently along a couple of streams. After some time you ascend and have great views up the fingers toward the ridgeline. The openness of it gives you great forest vistas and good chances at spotting wildlife.

After about 4 miles the trail descends down towards the falls and you are greeted with one of the best falls in Georgia as well as a few hundred people who took the shortcut and drove on up.

On 9/20/2015 We ran into a hornets nest about a mile in as did another couple we passed along the way. Multiple stings each so beware. It is a small stream crossing with a couple of small logs as stepping areas. They are aggressive.

I don't recommend a lot of trails without good views but this one is the exception. It is a really easy hike with only a couple of more technical spots and just made for a very pleasant afternoon. You could easily do out and back. We did one way, parking the car and riding down to the trailhead.

Enjoyed but not well maintained.

Very fun and challenging trail that ends at the beautiful Anna Ruby Falls. The trail starts next to the B cabins in Unicoi state park. The trail is easy till you clear the gap at the top then becomes much more challenging with roots and rocks. Not much for views, but you are next to a stream 50% of the time and you walk through tunnels of rhododendrons much of the time. You pop out at the end at Anna Ruby Falls which is amazing! Lots of bear sign and overall a very cool trail!

Great out and back hike. Beautiful waterfall. You may see all types of wildlife. I've seen deer, turkey, and hogs. Bear sign is there also

This is a very nice moderately difficult hike. The directions on this app are misleading. The trail starts near the lake where the campers checked in. Or you can drive up to and I have Ruby Falls pay your admission fee and hike down to the lake. I recommend hiking from the lake up to the Falls because it is a steady climb up . At the fall you can take a quick break and grab a snack at their concession stand then hike back down the lake.

A fairly simple hike for the most part that offered a few moments requiring thought before the next step. There were a few spots that caused hesitation due to the excessive amount of rainfall the last couple of weeks. (The presumed bear smell also caused pause.) The washed out look of some areas might have you wondering if you're still actually on the trail. Some full streams and a few clusters of shifted boulders and large fallen trees added to the adventure. The nearly picture perfect day increased the number of greetings along the way, but many opportunities remained on the round-trip to allow long moments of gratifying introspection.

I used to explore areas of Southern Appalachia, but after an injury I cannot. I write articles online for a hobby, to pass time. I would love to get an amateur clear images for the use of writing about them. I would credit the photo to the owner, give recognition to the location. Since I can't get out and it has been a long recovery over a year. I don't expect to get out anytime soon. My articles are at http://www.examiner.com/appalachian-nature-in-atlanta/rana-williams My email is ra231naw@live.com I enjoy pictures of hiking, waterfalls, nature, etc... It does not matter the difficulty of hike. I want to get my audience interested. Thank you. Rana Williams

Great trail, definitely a good work out. Hiked it round trip. Needs some trail maintenance though. One area was very challenging.