Sea Camp at Cumberland Island Campground

DIFFICULTY 7 reviews

Sea Camp at Cumberland Island Campground is located near St Marys, GA. The trail is primarily used for camping and is accessible year-round.

Backpacking at Cumberland was seriously awesome. The terrain is super flat, at times muddy. Had a blast on this trip. It's a great backpacking experience for beginners since there aren't many tough obstacles.

A great spot for a large group to camp for a few nights. Has great ammenities including a bath house, private bathrooms, potable water, and easy access to the beach.

I head out to spend a week each August on Cumberland Island for the full moon and Perseid Meteor shower.

Early risers get to see all the good stuff - deer, bobcats, the horses... Find a spot in the meadow beyond the slave quarters and just sit. (A poncho works great as a blanket) I would see the sunrise and watch the horses and deer (including the white buck) graze. I would move below Dungeoness to watch more horses graze, then head down to Racoon Island for more close encounters. (Day visitors rarely make it down there) You can dig for sharks teeth there as well.

Check my blog for more details -

It was my first time to Cumberland Is and highly recommend it! The wild life and land scapes and ocean views are unlike anything I've ever seen. Definitely something to write home about!

I highly recommend Sea Camp at Cumberland Island for individuals and families. I've spent 3 visits at the camp site and one trip up at Stafford (back country). And I'm looking forward to another trip.
It must be added the rangers on the island go out of there way to ensure that a safe and great time will be had by all as well.