Sandy Creek Lakeside Trail

Sandy Creek Lakeside Trail is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Athens, GA that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Sandy Creek Park Lakeside Trail - goes along one side of Lake Chapman for almost 4 miles. Out and back nearly 8 miles.

It was a good trial and well mark. I has a pack of 30lb and had my small dog. It had only a few small hill nothing too hard to do. Great trail for newbies.

I am a novice in hiking, so unsure how to rate the trail. We went on a Thursday after school was in session and only encountered 3 other hikers. The trail was steeper than we expected (in places) but still not difficult. Bathrooms were well maintained. Trails also very nice and paths clear. A few more signs along the trail might be nice. We had our dog with us, but bank was steep so her access was limited. Bring water! We did and used it often--not for us, but for the dog! My husband and myself are in our late 60's. Park was free for our age.

We logged 7.5 miles on the trail. Wetland area is beautiful

A little surprisingly steep in places, but on the whole a surprising good hike for your typical round-the-lake loop. Some truly breathtaking overlooks on the lake when the trail runs down the shore. Close by, well-maintained and a nice length.

Longer than you might think, but not too strenuous. There are a few mild grades but the trail is well maintained and smooth. The scenery isn't much but it's a nice peaceful walk in the woods.

Great low key hike. I'm out here often with my dog. At a nice leisure pace, it generally takes me 2.5 hours.

It wasn't hard but it was a bit more than easy. You def had to pay attention. Really nice because it was more than walking on a trail and less than hiking a mountain. And 7 miles is nothing to sneeze at :). Enjoy!

Easy, family friendly. Shady for most parts and good if you just want to get out and walk for a bit.

An easy hike and since I went on a week day the park was virtually empty. The loop around the lake was peaceful and my two dogs enjoyed it very much. There were a few large trees across the trail that could be a challenge for some. I assume the trail maintenance crew will clear these soon.

I went on a whim and decided to run this trail while at the lake "beach". I was surprised how challenging it was. I'm not saying it was hard but it definitely wasn't the easiest. It does have it's share of inclines and the trail gets a bit winding. But for the most part it is free of root or rock gardens. Trail width size varies a lot but it is marked well for both hiker/runners and horses. Nice 7 miler.

The trail is pretty easy to be honest...it connects to swimming dear trail on the other side of the lake which is the best choice...no need to do out and back on this one...and new bridge finished in Jan. 2013 connects the two together. I would rate it just above easy, but I did the blood mountain loop last weekend so... I might be a bit biased.

Also, there isn't much to see besides the lake, pretty boring on scenery side.