Panther Creek Trail

Panther Creek Trail is a 11.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Turnerville, GA that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

11.6 miles 2073 feet Out & Back

beach

Panther Creek Trail are along US 441, 14 miles North of Cornelia. Turn left, following the sign, onto Glen Hardman Road. Immediately take a right onto Old 441; signs for the trailhead are in 1 mile. There is a $3 parking fee to park

This used to be one of my favorite trails, but as others have said, it needs some maintenance and the overuse has created many trash issues(inexperienced hikers?) My dogs (yellow labs)love this trail and do fine on all parts except exiting the final falls. The trail has eroded so much that it's difficult for them in a couple of spots. This does not prevent us from going. There are lots of spots to stop along the way and enjoy the water and amazing scenery. A nice mixture of moderate to difficult as well as lots of easy stretches. I'm rating it a three only because of the trash and lack of maintenance. Well worth the hike!

It's a great hike but was very disappointed with so much trash, place pack out your trash and leave no trace! The falls are worth the hike.

PANTHER CREEK NEAR TURNERVILLE IS NOT IN THE COHUTTA, IT IS IN THE CHATTAHOOCHEE NATIONAL FOREST. THE PANTHER CREEK IN COHUTTA IS AN INTERIOR TRAIL WITH A VERY STEEP WATERFALL. DONT MIX UP THE TWO.
This panther creek is nice, though the trail is always over crowded, suffering from erosion and there is always trash. So sad, as it is beautiful place. The trail continues past the falls, but it isn't well maintained and is loaded with poison ivy and downed trees.

One of our favorites! Spring especially!

fun and challenging well worth it

Absolutely amazing. It was hard and kinda scary at parts where you had to walk along the cliffs, but that is part of the fun of this trail. The falls at the end were amazing and well worth the challenging hike down. 10/10 would recommend.

Hike was about one hour and 45 min and was moderately difficult. The trail was well marked and there were many people on trail with us. No panthers. We enjoyed the but were disappointed with how much trash we saw. It would be way better if people cleaned up after themselves.

A litte tough for first timers, still like others have said it really makes you feel like a bad ass .

Love this place!!!!

I have hiked many trials in North Georgia, this one is way over hiked and way under maintained. I took my daughter (6yrs old) for in which she has hiked many trials with me and it was to dangerous. This could be a great hike but with the trash in combination with trail conditions, I would not recommend it.

Francisco had written a review about a month ago that I totally agree with. This gorgeous trail has become dangerous for children, first and foremost. So if you are thinking about taking a small child, forget it.

There are places where it is very difficult and dangerous for dogs.

And the saddest part about this hike was that there was trash everywhere. How can people do this to such a spectacular place?

This wonderful trail has been over-hiked and not maintained. Campers have almost clear cut several places along the river the smoke from their many fires made the air quality awful several places along the hike.

This hike is not for in inexperienced, out of shape or physically challenged. There are a number of places that require going up or down on all fours and felt more like rock climbing than hiking.

Budget cuts to the Park Service budget are clearly to blame. This trail needs a break from people and needs some serious maintenance.

All that being said, it used to be one of the most gorgeous hikes in the Southeast.

we had an awesome hike!!

Great hike beautiful water fall

I don't really know why people talk about this trail like its the devil. I love it. Yes, there are some treacherous parts, but for me personally, I enjoy a trail with an element of danger! It made me feel like a badass, climbing roots and scrambling up narrow passages. The length is what makes it strenuous, in general it's not too difficult. I have no idea why the sign claims that its 3.5 miles to the falls, that's a blatant lie! According to my tracking, it's about 4.2-4.6 miles one way to the falls, about 9 miles total. The swimming at the falls is awesome! It really is worth it.
Overall I would not recommend this trail for kids or elderly people with mobility issues. Also for some reason most people had their dogs off leash. If you can't control your dogs, keep them on a leash, people! We had run ins with 2 dogs that had no owners in sight.

Beautiful!! But there were great and sad things about this hike. It's beautiful, and tons of fun, often requiring climbing on all 4s. The final falls are breathtaking, and pictures just don't do it justice.

Now the bad parts: the trail is so heavily used, with so many paths wandering down to the creek, it's VERY difficult to know which is the actual trail and which is erosion due to other paths. To make things worse, the trail is very poorly marked. In addition to the dark green signs with numbers, there are bright green blazes, blue diamond blazes, even the occasional red blaze. (THANKS to the person who posted the "Wrong Way, DUMBASS" sign along the middle of the walk. I think it was the only wrong turn I didn't take!)

Worst part: tent campers are EVERYWHERE, sometimes setting up camp in the middle of the trail. The serene atmosphere was often ruined due to the smoke from so many campfires billowing through the canyon. I counted 6 LARGE campfires, all but 1 within about 20 feet of the trail. And forget leash laws.

Park Services needs to put serious restrictions on camping along the entire trail and fence off all of the side trails for erosion control for a few years.