Neels Gap to Blood Mountain

Neels Gap to Blood Mountain is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Blairsville, Georgia that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Always great to be on the AT. After parking 1/2 mile north of Mountain Crossing we headed up Bryon Reese Trail to join the AT to Blood Mountain. Temperature was about 40 degrees with overcast skies. Wind was howling at 15-20 mph. After all the rain lately, water sources were everywhere. Even the summit had water if your willing to scoop water out of rock pockets/holes.

After lunch on top of Blood Mountain we headed over to Slaughter Mountain via the AT and Duncan Ridge Trail. We found a faint trail off Duncan to take us to the summit.

Great hike with great friends.

Awesome views. Pretty easy to hike and has a shelter on the summit

Fun and challenging hike with beautiful views at the top!

great hike with great views from blood mtn, weather permitting. crowded on weekends and peak seasons. be sure to take in Mountain Crossing outfitters

We arrived around 9:30am and parking was tough! Next time we will arrive even earlier. This hike was tougher than my husband and I expected but the view was worth it! Unrelenting rocks/boulders at a steep incline the majority of the way. Our two dogs handled it well but they are very active dogs. I would not recommend taking dogs who are not used to hiking. I would not recommend this trail for children.

Great hike-- dog friendly too. We added loop to come back down on Freeman trail from summit. Parking lot was full so had to park about half mile down the road.

Great hike but harder than expected and very congested. Expect lots of contant climbing of rocks. just remember the view is worth it! Not recommended for kids. Parking is limited.

This was a decent trail for intermittent trail running. The trail has some big boulders on the path. It also has some steep elevations.

Nice short hike with a great view.

My favorite short hike in Georgia, mostly because of the views from the top.

Hard hike but worth the beautiful views

this Trail was awesome

Followed Freeman Trail around going in and connected with Slaughter Creek Trail then the AT to finish the hike to the top. We camped at the summit. There is a shelter at the top, but is rumored to be infested with mice. There is a privy as well that is overused and quite smelly, as some folks don't quite get the concept of a composting toilet ( no trash- add sawdust when you're done). We went on a weekend, so the trail was busy and the campers numerous. There are always one or two folks who like to hike listening to music- I don't care for it, but to each his own. We followed the AT back down the next day. This is the best hike I've been on in Ga to date. The Freeman Trail is a boulder hop- be prepare to climb and manipulate as it can be a bit technical in places. Hiking poles highly recommended. Water is available at Slaughter Creek, but none at the summit, so resupply and treat before heading up. The views are amazing! One of my favorite sunsets!