Neels Gap to Blood Mountain

Neels Gap to Blood Mountain is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Blairsville, GA that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

We arrived around 9:30am and parking was tough! Next time we will arrive even earlier. This hike was tougher than my husband and I expected but the view was worth it! Unrelenting rocks/boulders at a steep incline the majority of the way. Our two dogs handled it well but they are very active dogs. I would not recommend taking dogs who are not used to hiking. I would not recommend this trail for children.

Great hike-- dog friendly too. We added loop to come back down on Freeman trail from summit. Parking lot was full so had to park about half mile down the road.

Great hike but harder than expected and very congested. Expect lots of contant climbing of rocks. just remember the view is worth it! Not recommended for kids. Parking is limited.

This was a decent trail for intermittent trail running. The trail has some big boulders on the path. It also has some steep elevations.

Nice short hike with a great view.

My favorite short hike in Georgia, mostly because of the views from the top.

Hard hike but worth the beautiful views

this Trail was awesome

Followed Freeman Trail around going in and connected with Slaughter Creek Trail then the AT to finish the hike to the top. We camped at the summit. There is a shelter at the top, but is rumored to be infested with mice. There is a privy as well that is overused and quite smelly, as some folks don't quite get the concept of a composting toilet ( no trash- add sawdust when you're done). We went on a weekend, so the trail was busy and the campers numerous. There are always one or two folks who like to hike listening to music- I don't care for it, but to each his own. We followed the AT back down the next day. This is the best hike I've been on in Ga to date. The Freeman Trail is a boulder hop- be prepare to climb and manipulate as it can be a bit technical in places. Hiking poles highly recommended. Water is available at Slaughter Creek, but none at the summit, so resupply and treat before heading up. The views are amazing! One of my favorite sunsets!

go on a weekday in late august and have it to yourself which is what i did. blood mountain is unusual in north georgia in that a lot of the trail is bare rock so is not overgrown even in the summer. i have done this climb a dozen times so it was totally familiar and soon i was on the summit slab in the cool breeze. it is usually a zoo on weekends so be forewarned. i will return in october to see the colors.

This was probably the busiest trail I have been on, which somehow made me feel safer. Make sure when you get to the summit, go to the top of the rock next to the shelter. It has the best view. :)

Great trail. Happy to report up and back we found zero trash along the way! Sad to report that a couple of juvenile girls hiking the trail decided to treat everyone to loud music from a system in their backpack along the way. Very annoying!!

Awesome views from the top.

Love it!! My wife my dog Max and I have gone all the way to the top three times.
The view is excellent the trail is very good it could be challenging for a beginner.

Nice hike, great views at top.