Mountaintown Creek Trail

Mountaintown Creek Trail is a 11.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ellijay, GA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, birding, and fishing and is accessible year-round.

11.3 miles 1923 feet Out & Back

Directions from Ellijay: Take GA Hwy. 52 west for 5 miles. Turn right onto Gates Chapel Road and go about 4.9 miles to the end of the pavement. Turn right onto Forest Service Road 90 and go 1.7 miles to the junction with Forest Service Road 68. Turn right and go 3.3 miles to the T-intersection. Turn right onto Forest Service Road 64 and go 7.1 miles to the upper trailhead.

What a beautiful trail with some amazing little primitive camp spots along the way. There's a hillside filled with trees that would be amazing to camp out in the snow that's roughly 3 clicks from the tumbling waterfall. I loved this hike. I say its easy as listed however, a few other seasoned hikers claimed it to be easy to moderate. We also trekked it twice in a day. I highly recommend this hike to anyone. Beautiful!

Has some good creek views. Some primitive camp sites along the way.
Steep descent first mile off forestry road 64. Has multiple creek crossings , but all are shallow.

We did this trail this weekend. It was a pretty hike and counted around 11 creek crossings. Mountaintown Creek Trail left us tired and sore with many unwanted wildlife encounters like a nest of yellow jackets that were not happy and a copperhead that fell right beside my cousin while he was putting on his shoes. Putting aside the encounters, the creeks were pretty and trail was well marked. We used a nice campsite that was about 3.6 miles in.

My wife and I hiked this trail about a week ago. We thought it was a pretty trail, but wished the views of the creek were better. We did think that the views were better on the return leg of the hike as compared to the outbound leg. We're looking forward to a return hike this winter, once the leaves are off the trees, which should improve the views.

I didn't care to much for this trail. Just alittle too straight forward. Most of the creek views were off the trail and hard to find. I really don't think it lived up to what everyone says. Could be just me.

the trail for the most part is fairly easy. has some cool waterfalls