Jacks River Trail

Jacks River Trail is a 15.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Epworth, GA that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until September.

canoeing

fly fishing

26 mile trail that requires 42 river crossings. Recommended summer without approaching inclement weather. Flood waters are vary dangerous.

It is a very hard trail if you don't know what you are doing. Plan on staying overnight because it will take you a day in and a day out. Overall it is a very unique trail to hike.

beautiful hike - tremendous waterfalls!

Amazing hike! loved the water

Awesome!

I have been hiking the Jack's River since 1979.... it is one of the best hikes anyone can do in Georgia. The crossing and water levels must be taken into consideration or it can turn into the hike from hell if you are going late fall or early spring. Keys- poles, dry bag, and figure which direction you are going with foot ware.... keens or boots...
Some areas are impacted hard will so much traffic... so be kind. There are very few hikes like this anywhere so enjoy.

Good

Wasnt that hard to me

Awesome hike! Beautiful waterfalls. #polarplunge

One of the few true 5 star trails that I have hiked in Georgia. The actual trail is about 16 miles end to end from the Jacks river trail head to Dally Gap and contains 42 crossing of the Jacls River along with a few crossings of smaller creeks. It is the real deal and I was amazed at the stunning river scenery as well as one of the best falls in Georgia. Great camping near the falls and a few ways to day hike in make it an accessible area, but I really do recommend finding a way to do the full point to point, which took us a good day and a half day with one overnight

The crossings are harder near the Jacks River trailhead as it is downriver, so going from Dally Gap would be the easier way to go as you would get progressively more difficult crossings. I started at the other end and got the worst out of the way then enjoyed it getting easier. Went on October during a perfect week so water was waist high at its deepest, but in the areas where the current is fastest, waist deep is plenty high considering how slick the rocks are beneath the water.

Advice:
1. Take 2 poles if you have them and take the baskets off as they will catch the rocks underneath the water
2. Choose your footwear wisely. I wore Keens and although it made it easy to go in and out of the water they are not the greatest hiking apparel so I ended up with 1 blister (not bad) and a cut around the lower ankle from rubbing. Another person wore Lowa's and just went. Her feet were perfect but I don't know the status of those $230 boots after the hike
3. Choose pants wisely. Very lightweight full legs are fine. You will be wet all the time but warm. Shorts are fine too but you will be cold. Don't try rolling pants up. It's not worth it
4. Be prepared for the cold water. Some crossing take a bit and the water can be painfully cold, especially after a break. You do get used to it but be prepared to tough it out from time to time, and resist the urge to get in a hurry in the water because you are cold. You will go in, get wetter, and colder.
5. Assume you will go in. Maybe you won't but assume you will. So, dry backs are a must with dry clothes if you are spending the night. I dry bagged everything and although I didn't go in, I did get deep enough the the bottom of my pack was wet, so was glad I prepared
6. Pack anything you don't want wet in the top of your pack, especially if you don't dry bag it. Sleeping bags, stoves, phones, etc.
7. When you come to a crossing (42 times) find the trail on the other side BEFORE going into the water. There were only a few times where the trail was hard to find so make the effort. Some are marked with blue on trees but not all. If you miss it and find a false trail, just work yourself in the right direction and you will find it.
8. Watch some you tube videos first of the crossings. It's a blast and will prepare you for the trip
9. DO NOT SKIP THIS TRAIL. If you have the chance to hike it, especially in the fall, please do. I have a lot of miles under my boots and this is one of my favorite trails of all time

1,000 ft. Elevation to reach beautiful waterfalls and beautiful pool of water. Crossed a few small creeks by rocks. Ate lunch on rocks overlooking the falls and watched a few brave soles jump from 15-20 ft cliffs into a pool of water. Scenic walk along paths that were flanked by beautiful trees and wild flowers.

Gorgeous waterfalls. Worth the average/easy hike!!

My boyfriend and I did the Jack's Trail over the course of 2 1/2 days. It was our first hiking/backpacking trip so we took our time. We went in August so the weather was perfect for all the river crossings. Definitely recommend hiking poles and water shoes for the river crossings - about 18 of them are knee deep with 10+mph current. The majority of the crossings are towards the latter half of the trail so on the way back, we just hiked in our water shoes (rather than taking our boots off every time) and it saved us about 1.5 hours. Trails are well maintained for the most part and campsites are plentiful and easy to find. Just a reminder- mountain temperatures are easily 10 degrees colder than in town. We didn't take that into account and it was very cold at night. It was a great time and so beautiful!

Well maintained trail and creek crossings were a blast. Would definitely do this trail again

So many water crossings! Such a great time.

We started the hike at the western trailhead after a heavy rainstorm the day before. You couldn't see the river bottom and most of the crossings we did the water was up to our chests. Current was strong so the crossings were very difficult. Camped overnight just shy of the falls and headed back to the trailhead the next day. Clarity was better but water was still deep. Seeing the bottom made the crossings in the deep, fast moving water much easier. We will try this one again hopefully in safer conditions.

Great trail. Completed a 12 mile loop with an added 4 mi to a waterfall with my schools outdoors club. We did it in late October so we were blessed with colorful leaves and relatively mild weather. One thing I'll say: BRING HIKING POLES AND WATER SHOES! My group and I went through 17 crossings and I took a plunge twice on the first one after neglecting to use my poles while holding a GoPro; after that I learned my lesson! The rocks are slippery but after the first few crossings you get the hang of it, even if you're not a super experienced hiker/backpacker. But all in all a great weekend backpacking trail, would not recommend to day hike.