Green Mountain Trail

Green Mountain Trail is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Blue Ridge, GA and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Blue Ridge: Take GA Hwy. 515 .8 mile east to Windy Ridge Road. Turn right and go .2 mile to the dead end with Old US Hwy. 76. Turn left, go .2 miles to Aska Rd on the right.The trailhead is on Aksa Road about 100 yard south of Deep gap. This trail begins at the gravel parking lot on the west side of the road. Visitors can also park in a small area near Stanley Gap on Rock Creek Road and hike the trail east-west from that end.

This trail is more on the moderate categorization than easy. There were some steep inclines and rocky/rooty declines. Beautiful fall color and valley vistas. Very good 3.75 mile out and back hike. The loop trail was closed.

d3

I parked in the gravel parking lot off Aska and started on the trail across the street. Maybe I'm out of shape, but I thought this hike was a little more challenging than the "easy" rating it has. I stopped to catch my breath a couple times on the long uphill stretches. It was an enjoyable hike, with views of mountains and a great view of Lake Blue Ridge at the top of the hike. Signage for this trail was a bit confusing, but it would be a challenge to get lost.

chose to do this trail as part of our full moon hikes. The night was bitter cold, but crisp and clear. We hiked the trail in its entirety without turning our headlamps on save for one time when we heard coyotes. Easy walk and a total different trail at night.

I hike this trail mostly in fall and winter. There are no exceptional views or features, save in the winter from the top you can see Blue Ridge Lake in the distance. The trail is a loop and either way you choose is uphill. The right path seems to be an easier walk going up. The problem with the Aska Trail system is that there are multiple trails but all of them are marked with the same blaze. Neon Green....easy to see, but can get confusing for those not familiar with the area or begining hikers. All of these trails in the system are double use trails. Mountain bikers frequent the area almost more than hikers, so be on the lookout.