Gahuti Backcountry Trail

Gahuti Backcountry Trail is a 8.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Chatsworth, GA that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

8.4 miles 1973 feet Loop

Wonderfully peaceful trail located in Fort Mountain State Park just west of the Cohutta Wilderness. This trail travels around the crest of Fort Mountain and has access at numerous places in the park. There is a 855 foot rock wall which stands on the highest point of the mountain. There is also a remains of tower too.

Beautiful fall hike! The colors were amazing. Due to drought the areas with water were almost dry. I would love to come back when there's some water in the creeks! It is very long though and has some intense stretches. Not for beginners if you're doing the full loop.

Beautiful views and loved the different terrains

Drought ha definitely affected the trail. Hiked it two days ago and all water crossings were dry. We (my dog and me) didn't encounter another person. I'll be back in the spring.

We did this one back in June 2016...a long trail if you do the whole thing. The Bears were active though we didn't see them we did smell them! It was a great hike, I might do it again.

What an awesome trail! The Gahuti Trail is a perfect day hike--challenging, but not grueling. It's well-marked and has plenty of side trail options--definitely make sure to take the spur that takes you to the ancient stone wall and the CCC tower. What struck me most about Gahuti is how varied the terrain and vegetation is. The flora changes dramatically at seemingly every turn and hill crest, so there's never a dull moment on this hike. I was constantly in awe of my surroundings. And there are stunning mountain vistas at several trailside overlooks. I can't wait to come back!

This trail has it all. This is my second round. The first mile is a big drop, you end up at a nice camp site next to a creek. Around mile 2 you'll see a full grown doe that will not move off the trail no matter how close you get to her. Once you literally reach out to give her a love push she moves on. Around mile 3 you'll come across a super tan French gentleman with a booming voice. Somewhere around mile 5 you get used to all the buzzing things that make you nervous doing a solo hike with no eppy. On mile 6 you'll see a couple of dogs, cute as can be, and you'll forget to tell the owners that there's a party of 20 super nice Japanese people just up the hill having lunch. Mile 7 is kinda cool because you relearn your center of gravity. The end is a climb up loose rocks and roots, then you reach the Cool Springs overlook where you bring a cooler and wash off all the poison ivy on your legs and enjoy a much deserved, awesome lunch with a fantastic view. I'll absolutely do this one again.

Great trail! My 12 year old daughter and I did this trail. It was harder than expected but offered great views of the valley below. The campsites are nothing more than flat areas to pitch a tent, but will definitely do this trail again.

This was an amazing and beautiful trail. Lots of flowers along the trail. Steep and Rocky at points

Very nice views

this was beautiful and had several smaller loops that connect to it with great views

The overlooks were gorgeous. A well marked and moderately hilly at times. An interesting trail overall.

The trail was very beautiful,just a little to much for me right now this just my second one.....well marked

Nice hike, good winter views. After a week of heavy rain there was plenty of water in the numerous waterfalls yet the trail was firm. One stream crossing may have been a bit more technical than usual because of the recent heavy rains.

one of my favorite trails