Emery Creek Trail to Bald Mountain

Emery Creek Trail to Bald Mountain is a 13.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Crandall, Georgia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Chatsworth: Take US Hwy. 411 north from Chatsworth and go 3 miles to Eton. Turn right at the only stoplight in town and follow this road , which becomes Forest Service Road 18, for 7.5 miles to the trailhead parking area.

Great hike. Nice views. Difficulty contingent on water lever since the trail crosses the creek a number of times. Plenty of camping spots. Limited parking

Great hike and beautiful scenery. Water levels were low, so the waterfall wasn't as full as it normally is. But definitely will go back. We did see evidence of black bears this time though.

I do this hike all the time with my dog. We just hike to the falls and come back to the lower entrance on old CCC camp road. It is hands down my favorite Georgia hike and i recommend it to all my friends. FYI the higher the water level is, the more difficult the hike. With the drought it is a piece of cake though. The downside is with the water down the falls are small. I do not recommend it with the water high and right after lots of rain; it could be dangerous.

Took some good friends out on a nice afternoon. We went off-the-beaten-path and hiked a few miles up through the creek bed. Probably one of the funniest hikes I've been on.

We just backpacked this trail a few days ago and I thought is was a pretty good trail. The only thing I regret is that we didn't go when the water level was higher. All of the creek crossings were easy and without any soakers. In most of the reviews people talk about how the trail was hard to follow. We only had one place that the trail map was wrong and that was at the upper emery creek trail junction. If you follow the branches that someone has placed on the ground then you will be fine. I really liked the area near the top. The trail transformed from an old logging road into a different world.

rock climbing

I didn't do the trail, I used the rocks in the creek and climbed them for a couple of hours. I look forward to going back and hiking the trail! It's beautiful.

Beautiful trail and the creek crossings are fun. We went in May so the water was still really chilly. Going uphill, we never saw anyone else after the falls so it was very peaceful. The only downside is the trail isn't very clearly marked, esp when it goes through some brushy parts. definitely bring a map and some trekking poles!

This is one of my favorites because of all of the falls. Although, it is confusing and the trail is not clearly marked. You can easily get lost. The falls are gorgeous but difficult to get to -- you have to go down steep embankments but you can swim in them. Also, this map and the creek crossings don't match up with the map at the trailhead. Bring a gps!

Emery Creek Trail is located in Cisco, Georgia in the Cohutta Wilderness region. After coming off an 8-day backpacking trip through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, I wanted to ease back into my weekend warrior mode with something relatively easy and light on the body. Emery Creek was perfect for this. The elevation gains are minimal and slow. The terrain was mostly light to moderate, save for a few tricky creek crossings.

The trail crossed over Emery Creek at least 10 times for our group, and some of the crossings were actually difficult. These are not a problem for seasoned hikers or backpackers, but some of the crossings, especially after rain, might be impassible for small children and small dogs.

While there were several families and groups around the entrance, the trail itself had a lighter feel and was certainly not crowded, even for Memorial Day Weekend's Sunday. Our group came across a few others enjoying the river and waterfall closer to the midpoint for the trail, but on an non-holiday weekend, I believe activity on this trail would be sparse.

The trail definitely needs better maintenance, and a lot of the folks who use the creek for recreation do not practice leave no trace. I saw three or four downed trees that completely blocked the trail. Trash, like cigarette butts and even full-sized towels, had been left behind by tourists.

I really liked this trail and would certainly recommend it to anyone looking for a solid overnighter or day hike to the falls.

Absolutely adore this trail! love love love

Absolutely beautiful. Relatively easy hike with the exception of a couple of challenging creek crossings. Recommend finding a hiking stick to help with the tougher crossings. We went during relatively high water, so your mileage may vary.

The trail is awesome.
Be sure to follow the written directions to the parking lot. If you use the mobile app and click on 'directions', you will be sent 30 minutes past the parking lot on a rough gravel road. It seems to go on forever and you may get a flat tire like I did.