Emery Creek Trail to Bald Mountain

Emery Creek Trail to Bald Mountain is a 13.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Crandall, GA that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Chatsworth: Take US Hwy. 411 north from Chatsworth and go 3 miles to Eton. Turn right at the only stoplight in town and follow this road , which becomes Forest Service Road 18, for 7.5 miles to the trailhead parking area.

I do this hike all the time with my dog. We just hike to the falls and come back to the lower entrance on old CCC camp road. It is hands down my favorite Georgia hike and i recommend it to all my friends. FYI the higher the water level is, the more difficult the hike. With the drought it is a piece of cake though. The downside is with the water down the falls are small. I do not recommend it with the water high and right after lots of rain; it could be dangerous.

Took some good friends out on a nice afternoon. We went off-the-beaten-path and hiked a few miles up through the creek bed. Probably one of the funniest hikes I've been on.

We just backpacked this trail a few days ago and I thought is was a pretty good trail. The only thing I regret is that we didn't go when the water level was higher. All of the creek crossings were easy and without any soakers. In most of the reviews people talk about how the trail was hard to follow. We only had one place that the trail map was wrong and that was at the upper emery creek trail junction. If you follow the branches that someone has placed on the ground then you will be fine. I really liked the area near the top. The trail transformed from an old logging road into a different world.

rock climbing

I didn't do the trail, I used the rocks in the creek and climbed them for a couple of hours. I look forward to going back and hiking the trail! It's beautiful.

Beautiful trail and the creek crossings are fun. We went in May so the water was still really chilly. Going uphill, we never saw anyone else after the falls so it was very peaceful. The only downside is the trail isn't very clearly marked, esp when it goes through some brushy parts. definitely bring a map and some trekking poles!

This is one of my favorites because of all of the falls. Although, it is confusing and the trail is not clearly marked. You can easily get lost. The falls are gorgeous but difficult to get to -- you have to go down steep embankments but you can swim in them. Also, this map and the creek crossings don't match up with the map at the trailhead. Bring a gps!

Emery Creek Trail is located in Cisco, Georgia in the Cohutta Wilderness region. After coming off an 8-day backpacking trip through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, I wanted to ease back into my weekend warrior mode with something relatively easy and light on the body. Emery Creek was perfect for this. The elevation gains are minimal and slow. The terrain was mostly light to moderate, save for a few tricky creek crossings.

The trail crossed over Emery Creek at least 10 times for our group, and some of the crossings were actually difficult. These are not a problem for seasoned hikers or backpackers, but some of the crossings, especially after rain, might be impassible for small children and small dogs.

While there were several families and groups around the entrance, the trail itself had a lighter feel and was certainly not crowded, even for Memorial Day Weekend's Sunday. Our group came across a few others enjoying the river and waterfall closer to the midpoint for the trail, but on an non-holiday weekend, I believe activity on this trail would be sparse.

The trail definitely needs better maintenance, and a lot of the folks who use the creek for recreation do not practice leave no trace. I saw three or four downed trees that completely blocked the trail. Trash, like cigarette butts and even full-sized towels, had been left behind by tourists.

I really liked this trail and would certainly recommend it to anyone looking for a solid overnighter or day hike to the falls.

Absolutely adore this trail! love love love

Absolutely beautiful. Relatively easy hike with the exception of a couple of challenging creek crossings. Recommend finding a hiking stick to help with the tougher crossings. We went during relatively high water, so your mileage may vary.

The trail is awesome.
Be sure to follow the written directions to the parking lot. If you use the mobile app and click on 'directions', you will be sent 30 minutes past the parking lot on a rough gravel road. It seems to go on forever and you may get a flat tire like I did.

This is a great trail. So much fun crossing the creek several times. The falls are beautiful and make for a great place to cool off on a hot summer day. The trail is moderate and rolling with creek crossings as I said before. Six plus miles of beauty!

Great hike. Take CCC camp road almost 8 miles to trailhead. Will be a gravel road past holly creek camping/picnic and fishing areas

Definitely one of my favorite trails in North Georgia along with Jack's River Falls Trail. This was our first time hiking the trail, and we started the hike at midnight, for an extra challenge. Start by going up the trail on the right (the one of the left leads down to swimming holes for the first .3-.4 miles). In the dark, we made the mistake of continuing to hike along the right bank, up Holly Creek (ESE), instead of Emery Creek, which diverges to the left (NE). Make sure to watch for the part of the trail that leads down to the correct crossing at about .5 miles. There is a blaze on the return route, but no visible bright green blaze from the start. When you cross Holly Creek, you will see a well-established primitive campsite on the peninsula. You can then cross Emery Creek going NE to continue the trail.

From there, the trail is fairly easily followed. Look to continue the trail upstream mostly when crossing the creek. The two sets of falls at mile 2.2 (lower falls) and mile 2.7 (scramble down the hill 50 feet) are great.

What' more, this trail actually continues to mile 7.2! After the falls, it crosses the creek several more times, then reaches a closed Forest Service road. Take a left on that road, then look for a right turn no more than about 50 feet away to continue the trail. We missed the right turn because it's not well marked, but we used some string to tie up a "foot path only" sign that had fallen. There's also a broken wooden post.

Along this part of the trail, you'll see a few fire rings that haven't been used in a while. At about mile 4.0, though, after walking a wide uphill section, there is a really awesome primitive campsite about 40 feet down a hill to the left, visible from the trail. After mile 4.5, the trail leaves the creek and becomes much steeper. We day hiked from this campsite to mile 7.2, where there is an open grassy field at the end of a Forest Service road with about 7 areas for car camping around the edges. There is a also a beautiful overlook just .3 miles before this area.