East Cowpen Trail

East Cowpen Trail is a 13.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Epworth, GA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from February until November.

One of the longer trails in the Cohutta Wilderness. Mostly easy to moderate backpacking with some great trails to take off of this one leading to nice views or waterfalls.

East cowpen is not a destination trail, but a connecting trail for many of the main parts of the cohutta's. We took this trail over the summer after leaving jacks river falls via hickory ridge trail heading back through the cohutta's to our car at tearbritches. It was thoroughly miserable. Just when you think you can't possibly go up any further you look up at another several hundred feet of gain. The heat was insane and my hiking partner ran out of water. As soon as I came into phone service we called a friend to come get us at the east cowpen trailhead instead of hooking onto the Conasauga river trail and leaving out tearbritches. I certainly learned not to attempt more than 22 miles in 2 days during the summer.