Blood Mountain Approach Trail

Blood Mountain Approach Trail is a 6.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Blairsville, GA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Blairsville: Take US 19 and 129 south for 12 miles. Turn right into the Byron Herbert Reece Memorial and continue to the parking lot on the left.

Boots are a must on this trail, especially the freeman trail route. Some of the best views in N. Georgia

Amazing views and a great trail. The parking lot was full by 10am, but there is additional parking a half mile down the mountain or along the side of the road. The trail starts fairly steep and lots of switchbacks. When we came to the first intersection, we took the trail all the way to the right to the first peak where we had lunch, continue a little further for additional peaks and to the shelter. The rest of the loop was less crowded, and we almost missed the turn off. The sign isn't super noticable, but there was someone who had set up camp across from it so we stopped to chat with them. There are lots of rocks to climb over on the second part of the loop. Overall a great tough hike. I would recommend hiking boots, but can easily be done in tennis shoes.

One of the best in Georgia.

Fun and challenging.

Great hike recommended for anyone who wants a nice challenge

a little crowded but unbelievable views and the 6 mile loop is an awesome trail to hike.

Loved the physical and mental challenge. Tough trail but the view makes it well worth the work

Challenging and beautiful. Default going up, but The Views are stunning so it's worth every step.

Hiked this trail in July this year. A bit too warm as was the case throughout this summer. Enjoyed the climb though. Back in October to enjoy a cooler climb on the Blood!

Great trail - wearing shoes that are good for somewhat slick rocks at times (I was in my trail running shoes which worked fine).

love it. totally worth the view

Awesome views at the top of a relatively short hike BH Reese trail. There are a few nice camping spots at the top also. Tonight it's very windy.

There is parking at the trail head but not many spaces and it fills up early. From the parking lot, you take the BH Reece trail up the mountain and you come to an intersection of the AT (white) and the Freeman (blue). I chose to go up to the summit first. This is a great hike, the approach to Blood Mountain will get your heart rate up quickly. The vegetation in this area in summer time is totally effing radical. On the way up I saw a little snake scurrying along the trail, which was the first of a few interesting sightings that day. The views going up to the top just get better and better.

Once at the top, I stopped for a break and to take in an amazing view. As I was sitting there I saw a couple in front of me get engaged, that was pretty cool. Then it was time to head off and I continued along the AT. At some point along here I came across a black bear. I heard a bunch of movement in the bush and thought a person was going to pop out, but nope....bear. It wanted nothing to do with me and quickly ran off down hill. It was really really cool to experience something like that and was the highlight of my day.

I continued on and took the Freeman trail to loop back around. I did this same hike in January of last year and it's amazing how different a trail can look between two seasons. The Freeman trail is alright, not really much to it but a ton of rocks so get ready for lots of step up/down. Ohh, and like someone else mentioned, this particular loop is not 11 miles, it's more like 6.