Benton Mackaye Trail: Skeenah Gap to Watson Gap

Benton Mackaye Trail: Skeenah Gap to Watson Gap is a 45.5 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Suches, GA that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

45.5 miles 12615 feet Point to Point

Directions from Blue Ridge: There are many access points along the trail, two are given here. Shallowford Bridge Access: From Blue Ridge, take old US Hwy. 76 for 1 mile east to Aska Road. Turn right, and go south for 9 miles to a steel bridge. GA highway 60 access: From Blue Ridge, take Old US 76 east for 5 miles to Morgantown. There, turn right on GA Hwy. 60 and travel south 15 miles near Tooni Gap. The trail can also be accessed at Watson, Dyer, and Dally Gaps within the Cohutta Ranger District.

My favorite trail (besides the AT)!

Love this trail! Great scenery and great campsites.... definitely more than an "easy" hike though.

I have run from Stanley Creek to the DRT (Duncan Ridge Trail) on the BMT. It is a great trail, the road section is not all that bad. A great trail with some water and views with not a lot of people.

My daughter, her dog, and I hiked a section of this trail in late March 2015 and another section in early April 2016,

In 2015, we were hiking the Duncan Ridge Trail (DRT) and picked up the Benton MacKaye Trail (BMT) at the intersection of the two trails on Rhodes Mtn. (between GA Hwy 60 and Skeenah Gap Rd.). We followed the BMT/DRT to the Taccoa River suspension bridge on that trip.

In 2016, we resumed our hike at the Taccoa River suspension bridge and hiked to the Long Creek area, where we camped. The next day, we did a day hike on the BMT to its terminus on Springer Mtn. and the returned to our camp via the AT.

The trail was easy to follow and well marked. The scenery was good, especially before the leaves come out. There was plenty of camping spots along the way and water was available on points not too far apart. Finally, the trail is lightly used, so if one enjoys solitude, this is a great trail for that! It is quite different than the AT in that area! Based upon all of the above, I am rating it a "5".

hiked the BMT from highway 60 to Skeenah Gap 3/13. Beautiful vistas with leaves not on trees. pretty good climb getting uo to Wallaha (sp?) mountain, but great view looking south over the mountains. plenty of privacy and solitude, did not meet any hikers.

Hiked/Camped with Boy Scout Troop 20 in 2000...wow, long time no scene.

Loved it...

Great trail well marked some steep upgrades did only a portion of the trail to include the swingbridge which was pretty cool

By far one of my favorite trails! Well marked and lots of different tracks and trails to explore. The scenery is amazing, varied, with lots of moderate ups and downs. We a section of this trail in one day, and the scenery and temperature changed drastically over the course of a few miles. It went from snow and ice on the trees and ground to lush greenery.

Several years ago, my wife and I hiked the short .25 mile from USFS Road 816 down to the swinging bridge on the Toccoa River. The river and the trail went on my wish list that afternoon. I plan to kayak the river and start a section hike of the Benton MacKaye Trail. The whole family will enjoy this short beautiful walk.

I used to explore areas of Southern Appalachia, but after an injury I cannot.

I write articles online for a hobby, to pass time.

I would love to get an amateur clear images for the use of writing about them. I would credit the photo to the owner, give recognition to the location.

Since I can't get out and it has been a long recovery over a year. I don't expect to get out anytime soon.

My articles are at http://www.examiner.com/appalachian-nature-in-atlanta/rana-williams

My email is ra231naw@live.com

I enjoy pictures of hiking, waterfalls, nature, etc... It does not matter the difficulty of hike. I want to get my audience interested.

Thank you.

Rana Williams

Good trail, great scenery, and many opportunities to hike on sections of this trail, you can visit many, many times to enjoy!

Great scenery any time of the year. Good trail for most hikers depending on the distance traveled.

great trees, nice scenic amble along creeks, cool rocks, interesting photo ops