Appalachian Trail: Neels Gap to Hogpen Gap

Appalachian Trail: Neels Gap to Hogpen Gap is a 7.3 mile point-to-point trail located near Dahlonega, GA that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips.

7.3 miles 2323 feet Point to Point

This is my favorite trail so far. The initial walk on the highway threw me off a bit but after .7 miles I saw Neels Gap official start. Parking isn't allowed at Neels Gap unless you are a guest at the cabin. I didn't hike the entire 7.3 miles. I turned around after 5.8 miles when I got to Cow Rock which had an amazing view. The hike took about 6 hours with several stops. I didn't see any water spots along the way. Definitely worth the trip.

Excellent dayhike in summer or overnight in winter, unless you are a speedy hiker or can start early. My friend and I went from Neels Gap to Cowrock Mountain and back (about 10.5 miles) in about 7 hours, with plenty of stops for snacks and views. A few parts are steep, but mostly you ascend and descend peaks with gradual saddles between. Several clean, flat campsites. One small spring about 2 mi from Neels Gap was running at a low flow (possibly normal for high summer). We passed more than one hiker who did not carry enough water. I carried two liters of water and one of Gatorade. More would be better, less would be unwise. If you have poles, bring them. I will do this one again in fall and winter for views and leaf peeping, and in spring for wildflowers on the ridges.

A great hike with magnificent mountaintop views, particularly the gorgeous panorama from the summit of Cowrock Mountain. If you start early enough, you can make this a long day hike out and back, although allowing yourself 2 days to fully enjoy the stunning views and nature is ideal. I did the whole stretch in a day but I was in a race with the rapidly-setting sun for the last 2 miles, as I didn't bring camping gear (hindsight, it was a mistake). The hike is moderate-to-difficult; I wouldn't recommend this stretch for beginners, young children or the physically unfit, as there are several very steep grades both ways and the trail is easy to lose at a couple points.

Awesome day hike!!!!

I'll have to do this one again to add a review that is up to date, now that I've in my late fifties, compared to when I did it last around 2005. I remember it being moderate. I'd also like to add Cleveland as a nearby starting point, since it isn't too far from that north GA hamlet as well as Dahlonega.

Last leg of the 1/2 Georgia AT I did in November. It was easier than some other portions of AT. Lots of traffic with hikers and a big Boy Scout group. Rained the last 2 hours and missed a turn. Watch for white blazes painted on rocky areas

The best day hike in georgia! I've done this hike several times. I normally don't repeat hikes because I want to try new hikes but this is a must hike. You will need to drop a car off at hog pen and drive back to neels gap. It would be a cool over night trip if you stayed at the wildcat mountain shelter and hiked back the next day.

March 4-5th 2013 out and back. Lots of through hikers out. Day one sunny, great day 50 degrees for high and 30s low. Started to Rain around midnight and very foggy and wet for the hike back. Pretty scenery Moderate output and not too technically difficult.

I have done this trail with my family and it was fantastic!

Beautiful hike this time of year.

Great hike. Excellent views. The climb up Wildcat Mountain is only a few hundred feet but it's practically straight up. We stayed at Whitley Gap Shelter overnight and hiked back to Neels Gap.