Amicacola Falls Trail

Amicacola Falls Trail is a 2.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Dawsonville, GA that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

This is a track from the bottom of amicacola falls to the top. From there up to the AT approach trail and back. Fun loop for all. Well marked and the falls are beautiful!

Great hike. Stairs will get your heart pumping but plenty of places to stop and rest and sit down.

Definitely a workout with the stairs! Awesome view from the top. It was moderately crowded. Not my favorite hike; North Georgia has a lot to offer. I believe there is an AT extension here which I'd like to check out if I'm ever back in the area.

great views going up!

Good hike, plenty of steps!

Great little walk love the waterfalls

Short hike with a great view. Stairs were hard for my mom but easy for someone in shape

One of my favorites a must do!

Good views. Nice hotel at the top provides a nice place to rest and re-energize. The hiking trail was mostly paved on the way up, with some challenge provided by the 500+ step stairs up the waterfall. There's a fun fitness trail by the lodge. I recommend taking the east side trail on the way down.

Very nice waterfall! The 600+ steps make this more difficult in 90 + degree weather. The trail has a lot of traffic but still well worth the loop hike.

Harder than it looks. But take your time and get to the top. One of the most beautiful places I've ever seen!

Gorgeous falls! Just a vision of natural beauty! I started the trail from the Visitor's Center. It was actually rather difficult, steep although it is paved. There was an elderly gentleman that trekked up with his family and was really struggling 3/4 of the way to the top. We offered our help and water but he refused. On our way back down, a couple of unrelated gentlemen and his son (I presume) was practically carrying him down. I felt terrible for him. Maybe not a trail for the elderly in the July heat.

When you get to the end of the actual trail there is a lower observation deck. Very nice view from here. There is also a high observation deck in which you must climb maybe 175 steps or so, I believe, to get to it. I was 1 week away from major surgery for a serious health condition, so I had to pass on that one, unfortunately. The steps are crowded, grated and people are not very observant of their children sometimes, which makes me crazy.

Overall, beautiful woodland scenery, educational signage, glimpses of wildlife at times (spring lizards) - just a very pleasant nature experience!

I loved the falls and the park, the trails are steep and the woods are peaceful but they are high traffic...

Overweight with sore knees but up for challenge. Started at welcome center and hiked to top and then retraced steps back. Trail is well marked and man-made steps used for easier climb. From bottom of waterfall to top has 425 metal steps with several resting benches. Most of trail shaded. No drinking fountains found but welcome center sells drinks and snacks. Came during week. Trails not crowded. Took me about 2 hours. Well worth it!

I intended to hike the Appalachian Trail from Amicacola. I didn't even know there were falls around until a lady at the park store told me. Wish she would have said which direction to go up. I took the east side, which is how everyone goes down. I saw the top of the falls first and had to go down the stairs to see the falls. Then back up the stairs to get to the Appalachian trail. Missed signs for the trailhead so lost some daylight and didn't get but a few miles before I had to head back.
The falls were pretty. Not a hard hike. I'd like to go again for other trail and will certainly pass the falls on my way out.

Pretty easy trek. Unless you have anything else to do you can go here, for family folks this may be good as it has a picnic area on the top otherwise I won't go there again. Very average waterfall and quite ordinary sight.

Beginning of June, 10AM "hike". We had two grandparents (70 years old, good shape) and our 2 year old son with us. We parked at the Middle Bridge lot. Very short walk to the middle bridge of the falls. My husband and I wore our son in the ErgoBaby (me: on the way down, husband: on the way up). The trail to the bridge was made of recycled tires, which was great for walking! We saw a ~three foot snake on the way in (in the woods, not on the path), which was cool. Once you get to the falls it's a great view, cool and breezy! We then went down the steps (about 150) to the bottom observation deck. Again, beautiful, great view of the falls. Kept walking down (less than 1/4 mi., with our son walking on his own for this part (no steps)) and ended up at the pond where several folks were fishing. Let our son get his feet wet in the water, throw pebbles, and splash around a bit. Enjoyed watching the fishermen catch little fish. We walked back up to the middle bridge parking lot, stopping on the lower observation deck and middle bridge again (strenuous but it's over fairly quickly and totally worth it) and drove up to the top of the falls. Lots of people at the top, kind of hard to enjoy the view. From up there the view of all the trees is more incredible than the top of the falls. After trying to take in the overlook we went over to the part where our son could get in the creek and splash around. This part was much more kid-friendly than the pond at the bottom (bathing suit recommended). Although we didn't picnic there, there were lots of places to set-up for lunch with plenty of shade. You can easily park at the bottom and walk up to the bottom observation deck or park at the middle bridge and do the short walk in if you want a super easy quick view of the falls without all the steps. Our hike with our toddler was perfect for our family that day. We got a good workout in, great views, had a little fun, and our son didn't have a meltdown! We will definitely do this "hike" again. Next time we plan to check out the Visitor's Center while we're there.