Wekiwa Springs Loop Trail

Wekiwa Springs Loop Trail is a 5.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Apopka, FL that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from September until July. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

sea kayaking

10 square miles of hiking, biking and horse trails. This park does have an entrance fee. A nice hike with hills, a rare treat in FL. There are quite a few trails and roads crisscrossing each other so you can pick your route according to the time you have, whether you want shade and water or higher ground with oaks and sandy hills, and how far you want to hike. Lots of biting gnats in the parking lot, but not so bad once you get going. Definitely bring bug repellant! Saw a Red tailed Hawk and this HUGE, weird squirrel with a black face and a tan body the size of a small sports car (ok maybe not THAT big) I am identifying it as an eastern Fox Squirrel, but my boyfriend said it was "Squirrelsquatch."

Nice easy flat trail.

Love this and it was great for the dog!

This trail is as good as it gets in Central Florida. Great trail well marked. The back part of the trail can get flooded which makes it difficult to navigate and stay on course. At times you made have to use an alternate route/trail to get around.

We had a great two weekends. The first we spent kayaking down the Wekiva River saw many alligators and various species of birds and turtles. Very beautiful picturesque scenery. Hiked the second weekend to the Sand Lake, also beautiful, the only down side is the trail borders a road that kind of takes you out of your walk through nature for a moment.

The trail was great, though watch out for the wild turkeys. Those things are mean.....

ZafassZesiSeXeSZzzssd

Fantastic hike. I had no idea that something this good was so close to Orlando.

Great with dogs and didn't run into another person on the hike. A must do and one I will be doing many times.

Excellent

loved it very much

loved it

This is a nice trail if you are trying to get some miles in however the views are just OK. There is a nice mix of terrain going from shaded brush to open scrub. I saw two small deer early on in my hike otherwise the only Florida wildlife I encountered were mosquitoes, spiders, horse flies and lizards. Watch for spider webs if you are hiking early. (which I recommend as it gets hot, fast) Also make sure you bring a colored map which are available from the ranger station or at the trail head since some of the signage is not the best and there are points where the trail splits and can get confusing. There is an additional loop of the white main trail around sand lake that I did not do so you have to be in the lookout for that. The trail on the back end is composed of a lot of sugar sand that can get frustrating to hike in especially if you are getting tired.

Otherwise a nice trail and would definitely recommend.

This was one of my favorite and very frequent places growing up..I first hiked this trail when I was about 9 and most recently hiked it at age 41. It is an excellent representation of true Florida...flooded areas are common, a variety of insects, snakes etc. The variation in habitats as you complete this trail is amazing. Take your time and plan on the better part of the day to really enjoy this trail. And don't miss the canoeing either!

First of all let me correct some of my fellow reviewers on some things about this trail.

1. 13.5 miles, in Florida, through dense trails that I would say at at times hard to follow. And you think that this is a good trail for kids? Unless by kids you mean kids that are perhaps 13+ I mean come on just making a little kid walk 13.5 miles would be bad enough, now throw in uneven terrain, mud or just walking in brackish water, mosquitoes, horse flies, torrential Florida thunderstorms and that just sounds like a great time with the kids.

2. The trail is shaded most of the time. Someone needs to look up their definition of "most" or did you forget those long stretches of walking through a green mile(s) of long pines and palmettos?

Now a critique of the "Trail info" I pretty much figured this was wrong going in. The average person (on a treadmill / level surface) walks from 3.5 -4.0 miles per hour. So if you are walking at 4 miles an hour how long is it going to take you to do 13.5 (yes 13.5 listed at the trail head, not 13) miles. The answer: about 3.5 hours. Now this is to say that you didn't stop to take a break, eat lunch, take a picture, go to the bathroom, etc. Then throw in that the trail is often (during the summer months) very wet or flooded, that you often have to stop at intersections to make sure that you are on the right trail still (I even had to double back once), pick through some of the denser spots of the trail etc. I guess what I am asking is what "Superman" is doing this trail in 2.5 hours. If you are planning on doing the entire trail i would give yourself no less than 5-6 hours.

With all that said; I walked about 4 miles out from the second trail-head where they have an equestrian trail and doubled back after walking more than a mile through water (flowing and standing), mud up over the tops of my shoes and often getting my feet stuck into the very slippery mud. I simply knew that under those conditions that I would not make 13.5. There is a lot of wildlife before I had gone my first mile I had already seen numerous birds including a beautiful hawk and had a deer walked right out in front of me, look at me and keep going. There are black bears in the area and on my way back in the mud i did find some juvenile prints, only about 4-5 inches across. I also came across some fresh raccoon prints.

As one of the previous reviewers said do not forget the sunscreen I wore mine and reapplied and still got a little red. And do not forget the bug spray, in the muddier parts of this hike the mosquitoes and horse flies can be relentless (I forgot mine so speaking from experience, not sure if I was so tired at the end from the hike or all the blood I lost).

Also if you are doing this hike during Florida's hurricane / tropical season prepare to get wet. I got caught for about the last half hour of my hike in what I later found out was a thunderstorm producing small hail, I thought it felt good. But I was glad to have a couple of waterproof pouches for my cellphone, wallet etc.

I enjoyed this hike. We didn't do the North loop since we got a late start. Got 11 miles in and saw a mama deer and some babies at dusk. No other animals seen, but nice Florida woods:)