Torreya Campground

Torreya Campground is a 6.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Bristol, FL that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping and is accessible year-round.

This is an approximately 1.3 mile trail to Rock Bluff campsite. You can choose the shorter 0.87 mile route along a dirt road to the same site but the longer version is more interesting. You can always loop back to the trailhead on the dirt road. The campsite offers three individual tent sites. Site one overlooks the Apalachicola River and you get a nice breeze.

Just before you reach the campsite is a port-a-potty and there is a cage with firewood for purchase (pay at the park office attached to the Gregory House).

This is perhaps the best marked trail I've ever been on.

Awesome trail

Amazing hike! Lots of different ecosystems. Lots of wildlife. Definitely returning to do the other part of the trail. The Rangers are extremely nice and professional. Get ready for a couple of steep climbs.

This trail is a little under 7 miles long and it's about what you'd expect for NW Florida except there is some elevation change. One of the primitive camp grounds is called "Rock Bluff" which is pretty self explanatory. The ranger and campground host talked it up like it was pretty tough. I had planned on camping at the bluffs but I wanted a workout so I took the long way around - about 5 miles from the parking area to my camp site. I got there way earlier than I expected and it was only another mile and a half or so back to the parking area so I just finished the trail and went home. The trail itself is not breathtaking but it does have some neat features including the bluffs, some other rock features, plenty of streams and footbridges, tons of plant life (and tons of bug life...TAKE BUG SPRAY), etc. I was disappointed with the bluffs. I expected to be able to sit on the bluffs with a nice view of the river but it was all grown up with trees and other plants and I couldn't really see much (partly why I decided to just go home). I may go again one day if I just want to get some fresh air and exercise - there's a second trail called the Torreya Challenge. Lastly, for reference: I hiked with a ~40 lb pack and finished the whole thing in about 3.5 hrs. I used the all trails app and it says my total moving time was 2:19. I'm 29, in decent shape, and have a fair amount of experience hiking under a loaded ruck. I stopped a couple times for water breaks and to take a couple of pictures but other than that I didn't really stop and I was moving at a decent pace (app says average speed was 3 mph).

Beautiful

Beautiful trail, did 4.3 and coming back to complete the whole thing.

Wonderful scenery!!

Beautiful nature....

Nice well marked trail, could use some upkeep in a couple of areas. Could not complete the 7.3 miles, the grand-daughter just gave out. Will return to complete when the temps are a little cooler. Take lots of water and a good hiking stick. Only saw 1 snake. Left it alone and left us alone.

Great trail!

Hiked in to the primitive camping. Beautiful! Short hike. Lots of wildlife. Camp sites are a bit close together. Hike around is very nice with excellent views. Great overnight trip.

Amazing park! The Challenge trail is a great prep trail for a AT hike. Take a weekend and really enjoy!

This trail goes by many names such as the Torreya Trail, Torreya Loop Trail, Torreya River Bluff Loop, Indian Relic Trail, and on this site as the Campground Trail. No matter what one may call the trail, it always delivers. I had attempted "The Loop" last month, but the humidity and thousands of mosquitoes forced me to stop after only a few miles. It was different today, this morning the temperature and humidity was right. Being mid-October the leaves were just beginning to turn making walking up bluffs, down into ravines, and by rim swamps very beautiful and enjoyable. To top it all, I saw a bald eagle flying above Rock Bluff in the area of the Rock Bluff Primitive Camp. A great day hike!

There are actually two trails within the boundaries of Torreya State Park, The Torreya Challenge and the Torreya Loop. The Torreya Loop trail listed on this site as the Torreya Campground Trail is almost as challenging as the Torreya Challenge is to anyone out of shape and hiking on a 97-degree day. I attempted to do the loop today, but the high humidity and the millions of mosquitoes produced by the abundance of water in low areas this year cut my hike short. I did well today on the first two miles, but leaving my bug spray at home the trip became impossible. Every time I stopped to take a picture or take a break, literally hundreds of blood sucking mosquitoes attacked me. I was able to do about three and one-half miles before stopping for the day. My fault on the mosquitoes, but I was still able to enjoy the beauty of this trail on a late summer day. Bring your spray!

Don't forget bug spray

so much fun yay :)

One of the toughest trails in Florida. Two loops - the Torreya Loop and the Torreya Challenge. Both trails are marked orange with blue connectors. We did both loops in one day but it made for a long day and sore hamstrings! The scenery was amazing and we didn't see another person the entire day (during January). If you are not used to hiking outside of Florida, be prepared for hills (big ones by Florida standards). The last hill out of the Torreya Challenge (the blue connector) was a killer. But it was worth it. It's a dry trail with no outs. So come prepared. We stayed at the main campground overlooking the bluffs. Wonderful place.

This was a fun hike and camping trip. We hiked the river bluff loop trail and camped at the rock bluff site overlooking the Appalachicola river. The view from the campsite was great and the hiking is probably the toughest you will find in Florida. That being said the hike is not all that tough but the terrain and scenery is reminiscent of the appalachians.