Split Oak Forest Green Trail

Split Oak Forest Green Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Orlando, FL that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Split Oak Forest is a nearly 2,000-acre area located in south Orange and north Osceola counties. Split Oak Forest is part of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission's Mitigation Park Program. Split Oak Forest is a nearly 2,000-acre area located in south Orange and north Osceola counties. Split Oak Forest is part of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission's Mitigation Park Program. Split Oak was purchased in 1994 through a cooperative agreement involving the Florida Communities Trust, Orange County, Osceola County, and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. The previous land-owners managed the area for cattle and forest resources. split oak tree David Copps - Two hundred year old live oak that survived being split down the middle. Split Oak Forest is currently managed to enhance and preserve the habitat of the gopher tortoise, a state listed species, along with the other wildlife and plants that inhabit this diverse area. The site is under a fire management program, and visitors have a first hand opportunity to observe the positive effects this practice has on our native plant communities. See the Split Oak Forest Trail Map Adobe PDF for a printer-friendly map of the trails and roads at Split Oak. Wildlife viewing, hiking, and horseback riding are likely to be most pleasant in the fall, winter and in the spring when the weather is cooler and bugs may be less plentiful. Children under the age of 16 are required to wear a helmet when horseback riding on public lands. For more detailed information go to Nicole's Law Adobe PDF. All horseback riders must have proof of current negative Coggins Test results for their horses when on state lands. While you are on the area, be sure to visit the namesake of Split Oak Forest, a spectacular 200 year-old live oak tree that split down the middle and survived!

Overall great trail but be ready to really hike the trails are covered with extra soft beach sand and it leads to one heck of a workout. Unfortunately the trails have so many smaller trails attached it is easy to get lost. My six mile hike turned into nine. It was beautiful and not too hot for me considering its almost may. I saw Sherman Fox squirrel, white tailed deer and lots of birds. Be carefulful there is a fenced off water portion that I did see baby gators by. No sign of larger ones or the parents though.

Trail was good but not much to it. Mostly open. 3 trials within the park. The lake loop "blue trail" is the best part. All 3 trails are well marked. Footing if OK for running but not great.

Great for a boring stroll. Markings were not very consistent. Only reason I would return is to thank the lady that kept our 5 mike hike (which turned out 7) from turning into indefinite. No wildlife to be filound granted we started at 10. But a butterfly was our wildlife highlight

This trail is great and full of life. Perfect shade spots and scenic views.

Great hike! There is not much shaded area so bring plenty of water and sunscreen. Honestly I didn't run into any Mosquitos or horse flies. But being bug spray anyway. I completed all three trails and they are great!

Good trail, saw alot of wildlife and got in a good workout. The sandy parts of the trail can be difficult but still fun. Not always well marked but easy to figure out. I will hike this one again for sure.

Of all the Florida trails I've covered this one was close to a nightmare.
We decided to trek around the Green loop and it turned out to be a rather difficult experience. Fortunately I don't panic and have a good sense of direction. The trail was poorly marked and we got off track even when trying to effectively navigate.
There are several places where the markers are totally confusing. We came to three or four sections where the path split in different directions with no indication of which way we should go; we were constantly guessing. At the junction of the entrance to Moss Park there was no indication of which way to go and the trail branched off in four directions. We tried two of them and then back tracked to get our bearings straight. We were totally worn out and eager to get this over, so when we came upon a path (apparently trodden by motor vehicles) we decided to follow that thinking it had to lead to the road. It eventually set us back on the Green path but it was pure luck and determination.
Much of this trail is sand; deep course sand. It was tough going most of the time and took the fun right out of the adventure. We also encountered a lot of muddy and wet areas. Florida trails are not much fun in the summer heat, and this one, in off season is just too wet to consider fun.
We thought it would be a great trail for Biking and turned out we pushed them most of the way. These trails aren't even much good for hiking.

I started hiking here frequency for exercise. The trail has various subtrails that you can do and hit's a variety of ecosystems. I've seen plenty of deer and armadillos but there also tracks of bob cats and wild pigs.

My number one suggestion is that you consider bringing some waterproof boots if it has been raining. The trails can get flooded by an inch or two.

Also if you are in the area it's right next to the Back to Nature Wilidfe rehabilitation center. For a 5 dollar donation you can see their 'wildlife ambassadors(basically animals that can't be released due to injuries and such).

Center/yellow is easy and I didn't have to walk it bare foot due to the deep sand like last time I was here. Saw a couple of deer. Just so dark out there so fast.

Boring hike. Super easy.

Completed this track with Boy Scouts. Good trail. Easy to do. Well marked trails. I always meet new people on the trail. Must wear shoes, the sand can be very hot if you have open toes or sandals,

Large wide trails. Very sandy. at point 13 is the center mark I was confused and did both the north & south loop. Sadly my sneakers kept filling up with sand so had to walk portions with out shoes.

Although it was difficult and I'm very soar I really loved it.

I've done this trail a few times now and still find it enjoyable every time I'm out there. The trail is very well marked and maintained, and great for everyone. The northern loop is mostly Live Oaks and hard packed ground. Once you get up near the lake it gets a little soft but, unless you're there in the rainy season, you'll keep your feet dry. The southern loop brings you back down into palmettos and pines, This is a natural habitat for sand hill cranes and gopher turtles. The total outside loop is about 6.5 miles with multiple other trails.

I ran both loops of Split Oak Forest Trails and then one loop around the perimeter, guesstimating about 14 miles total for the run. There was some smoldering going on from a recent burn and I went off course for a while and got to wade through some marsh - but that was my fault. The trail is nice and easy to run on, you can be as speedy as you'd like without worrying about technicality. No crowds made for a nice escape.