Lake Myakka Trail

Lake Myakka Trail is a 10.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sarasota, FL that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

fly fishing

scenic driving

sea kayaking

Myakka River State Park has multiple trails located in Sarasota, Florida The trails are good for all skill levels and their is something for everyone from walking to fishing, kayaking/canoeing, bikes, birding, running, camping, horses are allowed on certain trails. MYAKKA'S WORLDS BIGGEST AIR BOAT

Mossy Oak trail a lot of shade, canopy, creek, etc nice day

We only did part of the trail after we finished canoeing, but it really gives you a view of Florida's natural state. It's very different than the rest of the country.

Can be hot in summer bring lots of water. some areas with nice tree cover. Best trails to north of park. Equestrian as well. And biking too.

I spent two days, one night at Myakka River State Park, and hiked the entire outer loop. There is a fee per person per night, no parking fee, and you must reserve a site via phone ahead of time. If you think that hiking all day to one of the remote sites will buy you some solitude, you would be wrong. Each camp area has a cluster of sites right next to one another. Suitable tent (or hammock sites) are few and far between in the park, but they can be found. I chose to camp outside of an established site and LNT. Check with the rangers about water availability. They leave bottles of water at each pump, those are used to prime the pumps, not for drinking. There are some streams that you can filter water from, but they are not regularly spaced. I found delicious orange and grapefruit growing off trail in the north end of park. I saw a wide variety of birds, herds of deer, pigs, racoon, and turkeys on my trip.

Myakka River State Park is all the best parts of Florida. Definitely make this trip in the winter, and bring sun protection. The winding trails snake you across open, exposed prairie for miles at a time. It's really something to see where you were a whole day ago. The stands of trees are wet and muddy, so you'll appreciate finding our way out onto the prairie again to dry out your shoes. The pigs graze along trails and leave them rutted for a mile at a time in many places. Even when it's dry out, there will be standing water, and if it has been raining, most of the park will be very wet.

I heard from another hiker that the spot on the map marked as "Old Railroad Grade" is a green tunnel covered with trees and is quite a nice walk. On the map I had at the time, it just looked like a road, so I naturally avoided it. It might be worth a look!

Spent a very nice morning here hiking various trails for a total of about 9 miles. Although a lot of the terrain is in open grasslands, the white blazed loop meanders through many shaded areas. On section of the hike took us to the Bee Island primate camp, which was lovely!

Pigs, birds, deer, and gators :) Beautiful and relaxing hike at any time of year. Wear sunscreen.

I love this place!!!!!! From hiking the many trails to biking them kayaking the river and lake and fishing them and just enjoying every little bit of the wildlife in the wilderness is just awesome!!!!

This was one of the first times we were able to hike in this area and our first time in Myakka SP. We walked the power line to the hiking trail (the one that leads to Bee Island Campsite) and then continued on the circle back to the crossroad and looped back to the powerline for our exit. Being from the mountains of upstate NY we enjoyed the different hiking environment from what we are used to (typically heavily wooded, steep rocky trails with 2000' of gain over a mile or 2). The view across the open plain was very nice as well as the variety of plant life. Getting used to those HUGE banana spiders took the wife some time :) ! We also saw an armadillo, several alligators, a few wild hogs and some beautiful birds. Very nice trail system, can't wait to see more of it.

Really enjoyed our time here. Scenery was excellent and lots of trails to hit. Can't wait to go back!

Not a great place to go mountain biking. Not bad for a road course. None of the trails are enjoyable by bike because the dirt is way to bumpy to enjoy

Great fun, beautiful scenery, and quiet outdoors. This park offers everything for the nature lover; biking, kayaking, canoeing, running, and walking. Costs to get into the park.

1-28-12 Make sure you confirm your reservations. They messed mine up twice! Other than that the park is very nice. Stayed at mossy oaks campsite for one night. Heard A LOT of wild hogs, especially at night. There is evidence of them everywhere (holes they dig up looking for food). They even came into the camp site at night looking for food. The trails are marked every 10-20 yards. Due to Florida weather, I would only go during the winter months.

I have hiked here a few times, and this is a great hike for a day. Drove from Tampa and had a great time. Mostly shady, and saw a big fat gator to boot. I believe this is the one where they have a hanging bridge they use for doing research on the forest canopy, which is very cool and something you don't find in many other places.