Hillsborough River via Florida Trail

Hillsborough River via Florida Trail is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Thonotosassa, FL that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Zephyrhills, FL: Travel six mile south along U.S. Highway 301 to reach the park entrance. Follow the one-way loop park road to any of the three northern parking lots. Trails follow the river bluff.

This is a neat little gem east of Tampa. I hiked it on a Saturday morning with my dog. I saw three other people, each with dogs. I saw some baby alligators in a cypress bog just off the river(which the trail follows for the first mile or so) which were exceptionally adorable, lots of cool, colorful fungi, and even a small boar. Perfect two hour adventure.

All this- great. BUT the back half of the trail was underwater, I decided to chug along to make the FT loop, and the mosquitoes are very present. Fingers crossed I don't have Zika!

I will definitely go again, perhaps in winter once it dries out a little and the mosquitoes die off some.

This trail is my favorite hike in Florida. It gets soggy with a lot of rain but it's generally low traffic, shady, and variable. The red line on the map actually traces the Florida Trail, formerly the Seminole Trail, which is the large loop on the left side of the map, and the Baynard Trail which is the smaller loop on the right side of the map. They meet in the middle at a bridge which crosses the river. The Florida Trail features a primitive campsite - no water, power, or bathroom - located about one mile from the trailhead at the bridge.

It was awsome. There is little cabins out there and rural camp sights with water and electric. Theres grills and firepits. A couple bathrooms. Not outhouses. A fishing boating area. I saw a few turtles. And a gator at the fishing area. I got lost and walked out to the rode to find my car. Its only 2 dollars. If you're the type of person at the bugs love it is a little bit of mosquitoes back there but I'm just lucky mosquitoes don't seem to like me so they stay away what an awesome place I never saw anybody when I was back there and there's a cool observation tower that you can climb be careful I bang my head when I was walking upstairs I think a little dehydrated but all in all it was awesome

Hillsborough River State Park is great. This is our favorite hometown area. The River Trail is accessible for all. The Banyard Trail is nice and you can do a little cut through to make a loop if the bridge is out. The Florida Trail part is good, but watch for plenty of standing water during our rainy season!

Two hours hiking with my kids on the woods. We saw a lot of animals, also alligator and two baby armadillos . Beautiful Riverside, nice clean trails 100% sure I will be back . Absolutely great .

Easy hike mostly along the river. Beautiful canopy keeps you protected from the Florida sun. Lots of bugs, so don't stop for too long. Not very private, lots of kids running around, campground is close to the trails. Alligators are easily seen.

Best trail I've been on in awhile. We saw an alligator, crossed bridges, and enjoyed the view of the water. The rapids are especially exciting for Florida.

Stayed there and camped in the primitive campground and hiked all the trails twice. The wetlands trail was our favorite. But the 3.2 Florida trial has so much to offer and see. The last half is like taking a hike back in time. Untouched nature. The state park does a good job keeping this place nice and the Rangers were great.

Lovely park. Well maintained trails & nice bridges. Parts run along the Hillsborough River so very scenic. Several trails of various lengths to choose from. Good for hiking or mountain biking. It is an enjoyable hike but not overly challenging. Many amenities at the park. Canoeing also available. If you go near dusk, be sure to bring mosquito repellant. The ultrasonic bug repellant app also helps. There are many picnic areas & a playground for children - family friendly. Tends to be very busy on weekends.

This one was ok there really wasn't anything all that memorable about it other than it was my first trail I did in Florida. Too many people for my liking but I did go on a Saturday.