Hal Scott Preserve: Yellow Blaze Trail

Hal Scott Preserve: Yellow Blaze Trail is a 9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Orlando, FL that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

Hal Scott Preserve is a 9.1 mile (All 3 trails combined) trail located near Orlando, Florida. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for trail running. A portion of this area was acquired by the District using funds from the Orlando-Orange County Expressway Authority and the Florida Department of Transportation as part of the mitigation for beltway construction in the southern part of the county. Orange County funding provided the partnership to establish this regional preserve that protects the resources of the Econlockhatchee River.

Great ride to Econ to fish.

This trail is pretty nice however there is no real mountain biking if you know what I mean. There are two camping spots that are nice. Mostly two track trail and not much shade.

Hal Scott Preserve was pretty cool. The trails are mostly large double track, good for biking if you like that. There are about three primitive camp locations on the yellow loop that were very roomy and had good trees to setup hammocks if you hammock camp. Great for large groups. The camps had a fire pit, some benches and a well water pump. Good shade coverage at the camp sites. The water is not safe to drink you must boil or filter it. Most of the time you are walking with very little shade coverage on the trail so bring water and sunscreen if you plan on going during the summer!

I discovered this trail when I ran an off-road half marathon here! I wouldn't recommend it in the heat of summer, as there isn't a whole lot of shade. However, running in the morning fog was one of the coolest experiences I've had in a while. Bring water with you!

Anyone new to hiking this trail should know that the campsite arrows are deviations from the 3 main loops.
We took the white trail heading to the left. We then followed the sign to the first campsite. There is a misleading trail marker inside the group campsite which points toward the canal as a continuation of the white trail. From that point there are no other markers. We followed the advice of the previous reviewer and walked through the cypress knees along the canal. It was very pretty and worth the detour using our GPS to find our way to a clearing. This detour took us out by the bridge on the yellow trail, and then we did the yellow loop before rejoining the white and heading back.
All in all, a great hike. Take some sunscreen because if you stick to the trails there is little to no shade.

No map at the Kiosk. I was a little disappointed in that.

Not a bad trail if you like pine trees and palmettos with some cypress hammocks along the creek. The trail itself is more of a bike trail than for hiking but, I did find the yellow trail for some "off the beaten path" exploring. Although, the yellow trail was kind of hard to find at first. I followed the main trail to the left, which brings you to a canal and a primitive camping site. It takes some wandering around aimlessly to find where the trail picks up on the other side of the canal. I did get off the trail and followed the creek for a while and finally found a break in the palmettos to lead me to an old fire break. Which in turn brought me back to the main trail.

The main trail itself is a shell road and pretty well marked. Stay on this and you won't get lost. Bring a hat. It's mostly wide open prairie.

There were a couple of people out on mountain bikes and I spotted four other hikers out for a day hike. The lake at the parking area had a couple of fisherman on it and there is a nice spot to sit and watch the lake life about 1/4 mile down the main trail.

All around, a nice place but, I prefer Live Oaks to pine trees.