Flatwoods Park Trail

Flatwoods Park Trail is a 9.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Thonotosassa, Florida that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

Flatwoods Park is home to a 7-mile paved loop road, which serves as great place to walk, run, or cycle.

Great place for biking. Love the scenery.

Nice trail. We only did about 4 miles.

A very nice park. Visited here some years ago with a group to ride our TRIKKE's. The trail had plenty of width for riding and sharing with cyclists, joggers and families.

Loved this trail! Beautifully paved. Lots of wildlife. There isn't a ton of shade on the actual paved trail, but there were several entrances for hikes and mountain biking with tree coverage. Wish I lived closer. I'd hit this trail a few times a week for exercise!!

This trail is gorgeous, and offers a quiet escape from the city. Lots of wildlife to see, and if you stray from the main loop you can hike along the interior trails for a little more of a challenge. Just make sure to keep track of which direction you were headed on the loop so when you come back out you don't get turned around! We saw a rather large rattlesnake crossing the path at one point - be mindful of your surroundings, of course. We spent a nice day wandering around at a leisurely pace and logged about 11 miles. I wholeheartedly recommend this one for everyone!

Its amazing trail

Actually there is a trail through the woods that leads to a small creek like tributary. I walked it today. Follow the asphalt loop as it splits to the left ( you are coming from the ranger house at BBD entrance) Look for a bench on the right and trail starts here. Nice walk in the woods.

Flatwoods loop trail is a very well maintained, almost flat asphalt trail. It is about ten feet wide throughout. While we were riding on a Thursday afternoon, park staff came around the trail twice. Not sure whether they were maintenance or security, but the industrial size water coolers were filled with ice water when we refilled our bottles. There were only three cars in the parking lot when we started but the lot was full when we finished after 5:00. Seems a popular place.

My wife and I rode the loop twice averaging about 11-12 mph. Many riders out for serious workouts passed us, with more on the second loop. It's great for a workout and to train, but there is little shade early afternoon and very consistent wetland vegetation, so it's not great for that back to nature feeling. We probably won't take the half hour drive to go back, but if I wanted to do some serious training away from traffic, this would be one of my mainstays.

This is a great trail for starting out. Which I am. I'm sure I will ride this one again.