East Loop Trail

East Loop Trail is a 17.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hobe Sound, FL and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Stuart, FL: Travel 12 miles south along U.S. Highway 1. The trail begins near the park entrance parking lot.

I've hiked this trail in whole or in part several times in the last ten years. The dune portion that runs from the park gate north to the RR crossing is the best part. It's the only reason this hike gets 3 stars. This section rollercoasters over the bushy dunes until it comes to a pine covered area just before th RR tracks. I the enjoy the hike to this area for lunch and some peace.
Geocachers are messing up the area with their absentminded and wandering destruction of the flora. While on the northernmost portion, I had a geocacher ask me which way was north. Near Scrub Jay CG, I saw another geocacher plowing through the Palmetto like a giant armadillo. I guess the park makes money from this activity.
Most of the last half, if travelling CC, is on sandy old roads - very sandy old roads. It's an excellent hike if you want to train for another hike or a run. If you decide to hike this trail, remember your sunscreen and come Dec-Mar, because easily 90% of it is exposed. The trail is good for wildlife sightings.