Bulow Woods Hiking Trail

Bulow Woods Hiking Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ormond Beach, Florida that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Ormond Beach, FL: Travel approximately 5 miles north along Old Dixie Highway to reach the southern entrance. Trail begins from the main parking lot.

the North side of the bike trail was quite rooty. my gf wrecked but was ok. I saw gators, armidillos and a deer. very pretty

I traveled from North Florida looking for trails to hike with my dog. I was a bit thrown off at first by the residential neighborhoods surrounding the area including inside the state park. However, once we found Fairchild (make sure this is where you park) the trail was not crowded a bit. Typical Florida trail, flat, a little muddy, but some lovely scenery. Some swampy scenic area the first mile, a marsh second mile, a small stream past the third mile. We saw some tortoises & beautiful wetland birds. I took the trail in January so no problem with bugs! Enjoy!

Found this beautiful place while on a beach vacation. I can only handle so many days of staring at the surf with a beer in hand, so I did a little searching and tackled this trail on a muggy Florida day. Amazing trail, swampy and primordial. The flora was spectacular--huge live oaks in every direction, interspersed with swamps and scrubland. I truly felt transported to a pre-human era. Such a wonderous place, although the 5 or 6 huge black snakes I saw along the trail creeped me out a bit! Don't do this trail if you don't like reptiles!

This is a great trail that will take you through some "Real Florida." Start at the Fairchild Oak and hike through to the Bulow Plantation Ruins State Park. The trail will take you through pine forest, oaks, and along salt water marshes. We saw some ibis and a couple of wood storks. We hiked this in mid-February and there were no bugs but be prepared for some muddy hiking along the salt marshes. Also, if you're planning on checking out the plantation ruins at the end of the hike, make sure you have $4 in cash to pay the entrance fee. No cards accepted, exchange change only at the self-pay station. There is a shortcut that will shorten the overall length by about two miles, but I recommend the full trail for at least the trip to the ruins.

This makes a nice hike for a day when you're up for covering substantial distances, but want the trail conditions relatively easy. Yes, there will probably be some muddy and puddly stretches near the trail's north end, and yes you'll probably want insect repellent, but, well, this is Florida after all! We hiked this one as a there-and-back (about 13.5 miles) and found it a pleasant break from the Florida Trail sections we'd hiked inland earlier in the week--those were wilder and more remote, which is great, but they're often challenging to follow, and when they're flooded they're really, reeeaaally flooded. If you want to hike this as a there-and-back, I'd suggest starting from the south end (Bulow Creek State Park, which is free), where there are toilets and some beautiful old live oaks to gaze at as you gulp your drink before hitting the trail. There's a small free trailhead parking area at the north end, too (Bulow Plantation Ruins Historic State Park), but don't count on wandering beyond it unless you plan to pay to tour the ruins--they're very strict about that. There's good birding in the canopied stretches of the trail, lots of lovely old-growth oaks and magnolias, and some interesting ferns and cycads as well. FloridaHikes.com has a decent trail description and map: http://floridahikes.com/bulowcreek.

We hiked this trail, starting at the Fairchild oak. It was canopy covered with oak trees. We followed the yellow blaze markers all the way to the plantation ruins. We battled deer flies and spider webs most of the way. Thankfully, no mosquitoes. The closer we got to the ruins it became quite flooded and mucky! It was an adventure. The only wildlife we seen was a tortoise. My advise, take lots of water. Don't think your going to replenish your water supply at the plantation ruins because the water coming out of the fountain there is horrible. It is brown and salty. I'm sure it's straight from the river.

my wife and I biked this trail on the packed down parks it's was a nice ride but the mud sections were terrible all in all a nice ride

Decent cardio trail. No elevation points. It's geared more towards trail running and hiking than mountain biking. Lots of roots and unstable ground. Gets quite muddy at the northern side. It's quite overgrown at parts but small enough not get off course.

You have to be extremely careful with this trail. First off, if you go in the hight of mosquito season, you may want to skip this trail. We hit the trail after two days of light rain and it was a beast. Bug spray helped but they still got me through my shoes - lesson learned about treating socks - and my shirt (need to treat ahead of time). On top of that, the trail was flooded in multiple locations. If the trail had been dry or I hadn't been hiking leading a youth group through the woods, the trail would have been a wonderful challenge and experience. I'm rating it three stars for the poor trail conditions and the high propensity for mosquito attacks.

This is the same as the trail named "Bulow Woods Trail" (6.8 miles) traveling north to south then turning back and go south to north. Some variety by taking the short cut green blaze trail from the main trail (yellow) to Cisco ditch.

An easy trail. I hiked 6 1/2 miles from north to south. Starting at Bulow Plantation to Fairchild Oaks where I had left my car. If I didn't have a friend to help with transportation the round trip would have been 13 miles. The start is shaded by a heavy canopy and this time dry because of the long drought. The first bridge was over a dry creek the others were very low and hardly necessary. I've hiked this trail previously and the bridges were convenient. About one third of the way The trail crosses The Cisco Ditch, part natural, part manmade. Much of the trail is a maintenance/fire trail with little cover and requires sun screen. Just a bit before Boardman Rd. is a short spur trail to the west the Boardman Observation Platform on a pond with many water fowl which made a good lunch stop. A bit further the trail crosses Boardman Rd. and the canopy returns. Then comes a junction the west leg (yellow blaze) leads to substantial bridge over Bulow Creek and on to Fairchild Oaks the east leg (red blaze) is a loop leading back to the junction. The trail ends at Fairchild Oaks with its ancient Oak. I saw many birds, wild hogs, squirrels and, turtles and snakes as well as fish in the waters. The trail has recently been cleared and blazes repainted, easy to follow. Vandalism has closed the primitive camp site. All said it is a great, not challenging day hike