Black Bear Wilderness Area Trail

Black Bear Wilderness Area Trail is a 7.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Sanford, Florida that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great Florida hike! Not a super challenging hike but has very nice scenery and very diverse landscape. Abundant wildlife and very well marked. One of my fave Florida hikes!

loved this hike no chance of getting lost. you will see lots of wildlife and beautiful views of the river.

It's a misnomer

Moderate hike that runs up along a canal and eventually the St.Johns River. Lots of critters, beautiful scenery all along the way. One of my favorites in Central FL.

It's not really a hard trail unless you go in the heat of the day

Excellent trail with plenty of wildlife. All kinds of birds, mama gators, baby gators, and even an opossum who refused to play dead. This is a moderately difficult trail with plenty of excellent obstacles that make it more fun. It's definately wearing my dog out. Can't beat that!

I definitely agree with the 'moderate' rating, not for the extreme beginners. despite the minimal elevation change, there was a lot of up and down and obstacles to hike around. I did this hike this morning for the first time and I loved it! A little buggy, but it is still hot season here in florida. I recommend bug spray. I love that the trail is mostly shaded, very fun trail overall!

I love this trail. I like how it's mostly shaded and I got to see a few alligators and exotic birds! I will be returning soon!

I loved this nature trial. Boyfriend and I were gonna do the entire 7 miles. Lol we made is 1.5 ! I seen a huge snake hiding behind the tree. Watch for them! Had a blast.

This is my favorite trail so far in Central Florida. It was scenic and more challenging than other hikes I've been on in the area.

Good hike, not too crowded and feels pretty remote at times. Decent amount of wildlife from a few gators and pygmy rattlers to a family of oblivious baby armadillos.

Great hike, mostly shaded with little breeze.

My youngest son loves this trail it is a must hike for a good short run

I haven't been on a hike in a long long time. For some crazy reason we decided that 7+ miles was a good place to start. The terrain was all over the place! Although it kicked my ass it was a great hike! Little to no mosquitoes. Very nice and shady. But with very little breeze and the humidity it was still hot. We started at 12:10 and were at Panera bread having a late lunch at 3:30- so not bad! I don't know that I would bring my dog, personally. If something were to happen to her I don't know that I could carry her the rest of the way out. Once you're in there you're in there until you make it out!

nice view of Saint John River.

Great trail. Definitely a challenge to the beginning hiker. Lots of great terrain, while it rained the night before it was slippery in few spots; have to watch you footing. we saw baby and big gators, water moccasins, raccoons, a very large soft shelled turtle. it was beautiful. Make sure to pack bug spray and plenty of water if going during the warm months.

It's long enough and I love the trial.

Great trail. So far my favorite in central Florida.

Lots of terrain changes for a central Florida trail. I saw alligators, otters, and an owl on the trail.

We hiked this on a rainy day and wound up slipping around quite a bit, but the varied wetlands sights and wildlife made it all more than worth it, and we're looking forward to returning on a drier day. We filmed our experience and edited it to some music in hopes it would help other hikers see what the trail has in store: https://youtu.be/SIJSoLlLUAA