Bahia Honda Campground Loop

Bahia Honda Campground Loop is a 0.7 mile loop trail located near Big Pine Key, FL and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and camping and is accessible year-round.

beach

One of the greatest times I've ever had! One of my favorite places in the world - sublime.

Wonderful area and the beach is amazing. One of my favorite places with my classmates studying coastal marine ecology. This island is beautiful, and holds so many wonders that go unseen at first glance.

We camped for 3 nights in the Bayside camp area, which is only tents and a few cabins. Very quite, during New Year's weekend. Make sure you have strong tent stakes and a mallet because the ground is rock hard. Saw a great variety of birds including herons and egrets, as well as iguanas. Be sure to check out the beaches and nature trails.

sea kayaking

Bahia Honda is a beautiful beach on the South side of the key. There is a small island that is worth the short trip by kayak. Use bug repellent for the sand fleas. I went in October and there were few people there.

top of the notch when it comes to a beautiful natural key in florida. It offers the best beaches of the keys that you can get by driving. The camp sites are very nice specially the ones located in front of the beach. The cabins are awesome, they have everything a simple vacation home can offer.

For those that like fly fishing, fishing, snorkeling, canoeing, sky surfing and kayaking you can enjoy a nice day here. There is a marina with boat ramp, internet and concession store.

Bahia Honda State Park gets two thumbs up! Spring break this year, we waited until the last minute to book a camping spot in the Keys. When I first checked Bahia Honda SP, they were completely booked. I went to bed that night so upset and disappointed since we were supposed to be leaving the next day. The following morning I awoke and went to the computer to search again. Almost all Florida state parks were booked so when I thought about checking Bahia Honda again, I thought it was a long shot. Low and behold there was a cancellation and we got in. I am so thankful because this is truly one of the most beautiful beaches ever!

Pros:
-Camping is cheap, so this is a great way to see the Florida Keys on a budget.
-Several different beach areas make it easy to find a spot.
-Bicycle friendly- this is an easy way to get around the park.
-Restrooms are clean and had plenty of lighting at night.
-Walking trails take you into areas of the park you wouldn't see by car.

Cons:
-Books up far in advance; I checked and the tent only sites are already booked for spring 2012.
-The sites in the RV/ tent area have seen so much traffic that the gravel pads have been pressed down and are basically like concrete. Bring appropriate equipment if tent camping. There's also very little between you and your neighbor so there isn't any privacy unless you're inside an RV.