Alafia River Corridor Nature Preserve Trail

Alafia River Corridor Nature Preserve Trail is a 9.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Plant City, FL that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Heavily Forrested - River Corridor with a bit of Swamps From the described parking area, the trail begins as a single-track, winding through a heavily forested section. This particular trail will be marked Trail 2. Eventually Trail 2 opens up to an old sanded road. Various trails, all marked by numbers, wind through the area. During the wet season, several sections of the trails could require a bit of wading, however we visited in December and all trails were dry.

wonderful trail. bit muddy at the beginning

This trail was off the beaten path. The mosquitoes were not as bad as expected with the swampy areas surrounding the trail. Would recommend early morning due to part of the path having absolutely no shade. Overall was a nice experience.

Since it's been raining a lot we end up with a pretty short hike! Bummer... The trail is flooded up to the knee and there's no end! We will come back next time!

Well maintained park with both paved and dirt trails through forest and along the river. The park has plenty of visitors, but there's lots of space so it didn't feel crowded.

I loved this trail. Was looking for a half day hike that is more off the beaten path. There are several trails that go off in other directions from this one and would love to go back. Saw one deer, but there were no boars in sight. There were definitely places where you could see where they were digging. There are also several wild orange trees along the trail after you pass through the big open grass field where the gas pipeline is buried. I get what the other hiker was saying about the feelingof being watched. My boyfriend and I got the same feeling. He is the one who first metioned it and I was the only one who read the previous review on this trail so he didn't know that someone else said the same thing. He is also a bigfoot fanatic though, lol :/. Overall, I enjoyed the trail in perfect weather.

Trails are a good length for a half a day with nature. Sadly, there is trash from the trailhead about a quarter a mile in. Mostly flat but beautiful typical florida woods/open fields. Not the best trail I've ever hiked but probably the best in West/Central FL. However, and this is critical: At the "loop" in the far rear of the trails I stumbled across a bunch of wild boars/feral pigs. Not sure of the difference. The point is they charged me. And charged me again. And charged me again. I counted at least six of them. Very scary and dangerous. I would avoid the loop towards the end of the day as it seems that is where they "live". After my escape from them I had to walk back through the corridor. Started noticing more and more pig roots and spots they had been wallerin' in the mud. Some spots of the trails smelled like a farm. Be warned. Be ready to sprint for long distances. Do not go hiking here by yourself. Other than the pigs, I saw a fox, two gopher tortoises, and got the impression I was being followed/stalked by something on my way out. Great adventure.

We camped at the Alafia River State Park and started with the Nature Preserve Trail then ventured off into the additional horse and biking trails. There are so many options you could hike for days and never see it all. Make sure to bring a map and/or GPS. There are bunches of crossroads and several options (east/west vs north/south). If you hike the bike trail (SWAMP) make sure to do it on a week day and go the opposite way of traffic. These mountain bike routes are top in the nation and super busy. But really fun. Bring water, sun screen, bug spray (lots of bugs) and a good pair of hiking boots. We hiked, kayaked and biked for three days and never saw the same thing. The Helpful Link below is a link to the Alafia River State Park Website that provides several different maps!