Whitestone Cliffs Trail

Whitestone Cliffs Trail is a 1.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Plymouth, CT. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and rock climbing.

rock climbing

The Whitestone Cliffs trail is a loop trail with spurs at the loop's bottom leading to CT Route 262 in both the east and west directions. The eastern spur terminates at the trails parking lot. The western spur is the Jericho Connector trail.

Also accessible from the Jericho Whitestone connector trail. Minimal parking on Waterbury Road near #2057. I like approaching from that side because it's uphill on the way in , downhill on the way out.

Walked through a giant spider web. Wasn't too happy about that. Other than that it was a great hike. Perfect early autumn hike

My 11 and 9 year olds joined me on this hike yesterday. It was great! The trail was marked by blue paint on the trees... (Please follow this; we didn't the first time and got lost). It was minimum difficulty until we got to the rocks. However, there is a visible, alternate path to the right that we enjoyed taking. The view from the top was great. We wish we would've brought a trash bag as there were beer bottles and food wrappers under a pile of wood. We were also angered by the graffiti on the side of the cliff. Other than that, it was perfect and my children really enjoyed it!

Loved it .. lot's of trash and grafitti I wanna go back and clean ..Lived here 36 years and never knew this gorgeous place existed. so my five stars made be a lil bias by my excitement!! I lost me headphones if anyone sees them before it rains!! Thanks

This was an awesome little hike. Small parking area fits 5-6 cars at best. Completed with 2 adults, 16 y/old, 13 y/old and 7 y/old. It says easy but its certainly not . We are avid and experienced hikers and this trail had was certainly not flat, lots of elevation change, rick scrambling etc. Fine for adults and older kids harder and need for a spotter and a boost for 8 and under. Not good for 5 and under. great views at the top excellent flat rocks for picnicking. Well marked blue blazes. Take the one mark blue blaze trail to the right on your way up. Only complaint overused by ATVS so the middle of a trail is a muddy wet mess making you have to walk the sides, annoying and ankle twisting at times. Quiet. Not busy. GORGEOUS unexpected tall waterfall on the way down!!! Would definitely do again perhaps in dryer season. Namaste

This is an amazing hike...for grown ups lol, took the kids and it was a lil rough, had to bushwhack around some of the steep peeks where the climb would have been an issue. Still got them up to see the view but it was work. Def would love to do it again without the munchkins cause it's def a hike that has everything packing into a small trek. Streams, cliffs, views etc but I don't recombined bringing kids or a dog.

I think this trail has the potential to be one of the best short hikes in the state. The views from the cliffs are great and the cliff ridge itself is quite unique in appearance. In addition, the immediate approach and descent from the cliffs was lots of fun. The disappointment for me was that 75% of the hike seem to be on ATV traveled paths so not very challenging. The exception was a new section of trail cut that brings you up and across a ridge. This section was fantastic in all respects. If more of the hike was new trail like this section instead of the Sunday walk dirt path it would be a 5 star for sure.

Went around the back way.

would'vebeen a great hike if the mosquitos weren't so thick! also lots of rock faceon the trail so steer clear after rain...
I would do it again but not when its wet out.....very slick!

This is a beautiful hike in the fall! Nice short hike but the rocky portions add a challenge...will definitely do this again next fall!

To do the loop you need to take the trail to the right when you come to the intersection. Follow the blue trail markers. We went straight and walked along the power line's access road. Not great views but a nice walk with view of the changing leaves.

Nice short hike with several more challenging rocky areas to climb and a little waterfall to go over. Had 2 small dogs with us and they both did fairly well though they did need some help up one of the rock areas because it was just a flat rock with no foot holds up a fairly steep incline. There were a fair amount of gnats and such in a couple of swampy areas; the path is also a bit overgrown in some sections so make sure to have some very good deet or other repellant on you.

We hiked up into the mountain where there were some steep rock formations. One part of the trail got really steep. We even saw some Blair Witch looking rock statues. At the top there is a excellent view overlooking Route 8 valley about 100 vertical feet high.