West Thompson Lake and Quinebaug River

West Thompson Lake and Quinebaug River is a 8.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Thompson, CT that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

whitewater kayaking

bridge out

On the west side you have a looped trail. One is closer to the water the other is higher in elevation looking over the lake.

I hiked and reviewed this dog friendly trail last year. But the trail is so picturesque in the fall that it was a hike well worth doing again. This year we followed the Ramsdell Woods Trail and Quinebaug River Trail. This 9 mile loop highlighted the beauty of the Connecticut lakes, forest, and river. If you only do one hike a year, make it this one in October. Trail maps are available at the nearby Ranger Station or can be downloaded at http://www.nae.usace.army.mil/Portals/74/docs/Recreation/WTL/WTLTrailMap.pdf.

Followed yellow path for 1.7 miles and came to end but across lake was yellow markers. Bridge to cross gone

it was a good trail to start off on, wasn't too long and the leaves are beautiful this time of year. hunters keep to themselves and everyone is fairly kind.

These easy to navigate trails make a great family hike. My 15 year old grandson and I turned this hike into an 8 mile loop trail as we walked a couple of different trails that took us around the lake and the Quinebaug River. This mid October hike was very scenic as the contrast of colors reflecting off the lake made this a very enjoyable hike. At times I felt like I was hiking through a jigsaw puzzle. We enjoyed our packed lunch on one of the several benches overlooking the lake. Although the trails are very well marked, I would suggest downloading a trail map of West Thompson Lake (Army Corps of Engineers) before doing this hike. This will better enable you to plan the length of the hike etc.

Love that place. It's beautiful at every season.

Lots of trails around the lake some are old roads from back in the day. Orange trails lead up river on both sides and are a bit more challenging to hike or bike. Round trip from lake on one side up to Red Bridge road and back on other side about 8 miles. Many options all around the area to explore.

More like a walk in the woods than a hike. Great for dogs who like to swim!

Pretty but floods.

This area is fairly easy to ride. There are some off shoot trails that offer more challenging riding. For the most part they all end back onto a main trail. The bad thing is that during our last flooding period the pedestrian bridge was rendered un safe for use. So now you can't cross the river that divides the two areas. You'll need to pick a side. I recomend the west because you have 2 main trails that create an ob-long loop with great scenes of the resevior.