Tunxis Trail

Tunxis Trail is a 8.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Barkhamsted, CT that features a cave. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice views

If you're looking for the caves- pick up this trail at the intersection of East Hartland Road and Legeyt Road. (opposite side of the road from Legeyt). You will have to go down a path that rocky and you will pass the old Indian Council grounds before making your way to the caves. I made the mistake of picking up this trail at Hillcrest Road and it took us over 2.5 hours to find the caves! What a mistake that was! If you start the trail at Legeyt Road it will take probably 45 minutes to walk to the caves. I hope this is helpful to anyone that is a first time hiker to this trail!

Hiked the full 9.8 beautiful trail. Love all the old growth and beautiful streams ! Markers can be tough to follow you almost have to use your instinct. Overnighted with my dog and saw the Sun Rise on the peak of Pine Mountain. Good times.

The most bugs I have ever encountered in all of my life. Would have been nice if not so damp.

Was really looking for the Indian council caves trail and took this instead. Went 3 miles in and back. Rocky with many steep ascents and descents. Ran into 2 other hiking groups looking for the caves. While I'm disappointed it was the wrong trail I'm glad we did it. It was challenging and definitely a great workout. There was a nice lookout with a view of a lake/reservoir and the mountains.