Trout Brook Valley Preserve

Trout Brook Valley Preserve is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Easton, Connecticut that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A crown jewel, Trout Brook Valley was snatched from the jaws of developers by concerted citizen action and will now be preserved forever as open space. A largely pristine space, the Valley has over 20 miles of trails, ranging from easy to difficult A crown jewel, Trout Brook Valley was snatched from the jaws of developers by concerted citizen action and will now be preserved forever as open space. A largely pristine space, the Valley has over 20 miles of trails, ranging from easy to difficult. The trails take the hiker past dramatic displays of New England nature at its best, scenic overlooks, and lush Apple and Blueberry orchards. In general, the trails slope upward, sometimes sharply, from the Weston entrance to the Easton entrance off Route 58. Some trails are designed for equestrian use. Several trails are linked to the extensive trail systems in the adjoining Jump Hill and Crow Hill Preserves which combined equal 1,009 acres. Also nearby is the Saugatuck Valley Trail on Aquarian Water Company land.(http://www.aquarion.com/pdfs/SaugatuckValleyTrail.pdf). Hunting in Trout Brook Valley is permitted in limited areas in season by permit only. Maps available at all preserve parking area. Historical Note: Hikers can enjoy a beautiful vista of the Saugatuck Reservoir from the Purple Popp Mountain trail (at #29 on map) in the Weston Portion of Trout Brook Valley. The Reservoir was created in 1945, when the river was dammed just north of Devils Glen. What can't be seen is the small village of Valley Forge that now lies 100 feet or so beneath the surface of the Reservoir which was flooded by Bridgeport Hydraulic Company and chronicled in the book, Village of the Dammed, by James Lomuscio. This is a great book about the local history of this lost village.

Pleasantly surprised with this hidden gem! We took the RED trail. I had two dogs with me, one of which was a blind labradoodle. There was a bit of an incline/scramble on this trail which I found difficult only because of my dog.
Without the dog, I would highly recommend it as a "Moderate" hike.

I do have to mention this review is my First time at Trout Brook. So take what I'm saying in that context:
Looking at the maps, we took the RED trail, planning to exit via the green due to my dogs limitation. The GREEN trail on the map looks like it exits onto Bradley Road.

It would be more accurate to say that the WHITE trail not the green exits to the Bradley road exit. We went in a complete circle or loop simply following the Green blazes.

We thought red to green.
It should be Red to Green to White.
No big deal...we just prolonged the hike.

I highly recommend this park. We are blessed to have it so close to home. Prior to finding it we were driving to Sleeping Giant.

Great space and trails in crowded Fairfield County.

All around fun, varied terrain!

Great

Excellent trail, rather steep in 1st quarter. One concern, most of the area is open to bow hunting of deer and shotgun hunting of Turkey's. It's hard to let your mind drift and relax when your looking out for hunter. I think this app needs to let you know up front so you can avoid the trail during hunting season.

Amazing hike, fall colors and crunching through the leaves. New England at its Fall finest. Last mile a challenge for our tired 9 year olds. Many thanks for the Violet Trail as the home stretch.