Soapstone Mountain Trail

Soapstone Mountain Trail is a 2.4 mile loop trail located near Somers, CT and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Great trail and Well marked. Good for fall hiking.

Beautiful trails but there are some areas that are difficult to hike especially going up hill.

I got there and it was OK. I was expecting to hike up to the tower but found out that it was closed when I got there. Was not many sites to see but it was a quiet hike. I will most likely not be returning to this place

loved it initially, but yes the trail markings arent very clear and are worn down, got lost on the way back about 2 miles out and had to back track, just pay close attention and dont let your dog lead lol

Beautiful views, and a well maintained path going up! Definitely a beginners track. My dog loved it

Me & my friend took the white trail, straight up (legit) the mountain. When coming back down we decided to take a different path down. Markings were very confusing. A lot of the trail markings look worn down. We got lost twice trying to follow the path.

Trail map is unclear when actually hiking

Easy hike up to the tower, which is closed but that didn't stop anyone from going up it. We tried the loop afterwards but found the trails were poorly marked. Bring the all trails app to be sure not to get lost!

LOOKOUT TOWER IS CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE! Decent trail if you're looking for something to do with the family, but too easy for an experienced hiker. I followed the Shenipsit trail up and back. Very short and rocky. with the look out tower closed and many leaves still on the trees there was no view at all. Was lots of graffiti. Waste of my time.

Great little hike, very easy and with options and a very decent view for your efforts!

I love this mountain! the steep northern face, old weather station, picnic areas, views galore, tons of trails leading to Stafford, Somers, Ellington. so many great memories here.

This was a spectacular view that didn't require much in terms of the way of strenuous uphills. Just follow the directions in 50 Walks in Connecticut provided:
Starting at junction of Parker, Sykes, and Soapstone Road. Proceed up Soapstone Road to Observation Tower. Follow dual-blaze green and blue trail to green/yellow blaze, then the straight blue blazed back to Parker.

Great place to bike for beginners or just to get out on the mountain to mess around a little

OMG this is a VERY difficult .5 miles but worth it!

I've taken two different routes to the top, both very different, but both leading to a view that is hard to find anywhere in the immediate area.

The car path is well-paved and a gradual ascent, great for strollers, young kids, or anyone who enjoys a leisurely walk. I'm unsure of the length of this walk, since it's been a few years since I took it. There's a few nice spots to stop and sit if you want a quick break.

The Shenipsit Trail (starts to the immediate right of the parking lot-Blue Blazed) is only .5 miles, but it's a tough climb for someone who's not in shape. It meanders through a relatively flat area before getting pretty steep. The uphill is pretty rocky, but it's never steep/rocky enough to warrant scrambling. I had to take a few quick stops to catch my breath, but you come right out underneath the lookout tower.

All in all, it's a great spot to talk a quick walk. The views can't be beat on a sunny day.

I love this hike! It is quick and easy, well marked, and the view from the top never ceases to make me smile. It's maintained well an my dogs love it! It is my go to for a close, enjoyable hike.