Peoples State Forest Loop

Peoples State Forest Loop is a 7 mile loop trail located near Barkhamsted, CT and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and off road driving and is accessible year-round.

off road driving

place is amazing so many trails that intertwine so many ways to change your hike and some vefy challing my favirite is elliot bronson trail not even mentioned on all trails but make sure to follow a map if your new it can get confusing

went here for the first time and man!!! what a delightful hike!! beautiful views from the top of the lighthouse trail and it definitely starts off a little moderate up a waterfall and from there it's smooth sailing... we did a 5.5 mile loop which was a combination of a few different trails but this is by far one of my favorite trails in Ct! Highly recommend!

I thought this was a great CT hike. You can choose to make it as lengthy as you want, good incline at times to get your heart rate up, not extremely difficult but a good day outside, and some good views along the trail where there are some clearings. I don't think there is a true "summit."
Parked in the Ullmann Grove Area, took the blue Robert Ross Trail all the way up to the blue-yellow Jessie Gerard Trail. This trail has some great lookouts. Stayed on the blue-yellow trail to take the Charles Pack Trail back to the car. These are the only spots where it might get a little confusing just because it crosses with the snowmobile road so you have to get on the road for a little to meet up with the hiking trail, but everything is well marked.
Meant to take the blue-orange trail back to the car but didn't check the map at the intersection and thought it was a blue-red trail. Ended up walking on King Road and taking the blue Robert Ross Trail back to the car. Total 6.3miles in about three hours, enough to enjoy being outside and build up an appetite.

Nice hike, incline at times, can be a little confusing to follow markers. Didn't make it to a real summit bc we got tired and couldn't seem to find a good sightseeing spot so that was a bummer. I would try it again!

I'd like to point out that this is not a point to point hike. There are many loop options. Some are good for all ages, some should only be done by adults in decent shape. For my hike I chose a 7 mile loop which included 4 different trails. Each trail here is named after one of the founders. Very cute.

My hike started at the stone museum and followed the blue Ross trail across the side of the mountain. Good exercise. Would not recommend for children. The Charles trail (blue yellow) goes down the side to and meets up with a Falls junction trail, that goes almost straight back up the mountain side. This trail is not for the feint of heart! I am an avid hiker but this one kicked my butt! It boasts of 299 stone steps. They are not man made steps and more a cluster of rocks down the side of the mountain. That said, it was beautiful and an excellent challenge. I took this trail to see the falls for which the trail is named, but sadly in mid-August the falls were nothing but a trickle and it was a bit of a disappointment. My loop lead me back to the blue/yellow which brought me to the top of the mountain and some really amazing views. Blue/yellow brought me back down the other side of the mountain. I met up with the Agnes trail. Agnes is listed as blue/orange, but the blazes looked blue/red to me. I followed blue/ red through the low land/ valley back to my car at the stone house. There is a nice spot to relax on the grass and have a little picnic at the stone house before you drive away.

I really liked this hike and would recommend it. I didn't see more than a dozen groups of people, but if your looking to avoid children, I suggest going when school is in, as I saw two small youth groups. This loop can also be combined with other trails to make it longer, or you can shorten it. There are so many trails here, the options are limitless. Bring a map! Your going to need it!