Pachaug State Forest Trails

Pachaug State Forest Trails is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Voluntown, Connecticut that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October.

canoeing

fly fishing

sea kayaking

Pachaug State Forest is a 9 mile loop trail located near Jewett City, Connecticut. The trail is primarily used for mountain biking. The pond is used for fishing, boating, and kayaking.

Beautiful hike on a perfect day. Loved this park. Will definitely be back

beautiful hike today!

Had a nice hike from Fire Tower Road up to the Mount Misery Overlook, took the quick trail up from the parking area and then looped around on our way back down ... Beautiful park with nice trails.

Great hike today. Looking forward to going back there. Was disappointed to see so much litter.

I did an approximate 11.5 mile loop on 6/27/15 that incorporated parts of the Pachaug State Forest, so I am posting the review here. This is a very nice area are to hike in with so many options- I look forward to further exploring the area.

I started at Beach Pond on rt. 165 in Exeter and parked in the smaller lot across the street from main lot. I followed the yellow blazed Tippecansett Trail (sign posted right in the lot) and followed it all the way across Rt. 138 and then eventually south along the RI/Ct border where it met up with the blue blazed trail the heads west toward Green Fall Pond. A short ways into this section I took a side trail (near a small wooden foot bridge) that took me into Burnt Swamp, which is well worth the short side excursion. I then went back to the main blue trail west and eventually hit the blue/red blazed trail which I took north up along Green Fall Pond. I eventually entered the Green Fall Pond camping area, and next time I’ll bring a bathing suit because there’s a small beach area that looks very good for a dip on a warm day! I couldn’t immediately find the blue blazed Pachaug Trial so I went northeast along the Green Pond Fall dirt road and soon after took a left onto an unmarked trail which seemed to be a dirtbike-type trail. I followed this to where it eventually joined the Pachaug Trail, and then followed this all the way north back across Rt 138 and eventually to Rt. 165. I then walked the short distance on Rt 165 over the causeway to where I parked across the street from Beach Pond.

A very nice hike and good workout with mixture of wood roads and trails. Some great views along the way, and I even saw a nice White Tail deer bounding through the woods toward the end of the hike.

I found the following maps very helpful. Kudos to www.mdc.net / The Story of the Yawgoog Trails for putting together such a great resource with such interesting information!

Neat little place to hike around for a few hours. The best part is getting to the other side of the dam. You can climb up the rocks (at your own risk) to stand up on top of the dam and have a nice scenic view.