Mile of Ledges and Tory Den Trail

Mile of Ledges and Tory Den Trail is a 4.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Terryville, CT that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October.

cave

This is a rather difficult loop situated in Burlington, CT off of Greer Road and on the Brower Property. This trail offers some steep inclines with the occasional climb as you walk along the ledges and stop by the tory den. This loop is on part of the Tunxis Mainline Trail and the Yellow Dot trail. This loop that can be accessed off of Greer road features walks along Burlington's water eroded ledges and climbs through multiple crevices and up steep inclines. Although some parts are rather challenging, it proves a worthy accomplishment and is definitely a path that you'd want to return back to and hike again. You pass the most treacherous part of the Tunxis Trail, The Mile of Ledges, and then split off at a T-Intersection over to the Tory den on the Yellow Dot trail. The end of the loop is walking along Greer road back to your car at the end, but this short segment is definitely worth walking to experience the rest that the loop has to offer.

Diverse terrain and some scrambling

Great physical hike. I felt like the trail was pretty easy to follow. The "Miles of Ledges" is somewhat misleading as there are no real views. But I enjoyed the scrambling and hiking this trail offered.

PLEASE READ- I did this trail a month ago and got lost, we couldn't finish the whole trail. This time we finished but I have to warn you it is difficult, not moderate! Pay close attention to the markings, you have to look out far for some of them. You have to climb up several mountains (At least on the blue and yellow we did). We Went Through steep crevices & The highest elevation we hit was over 1000 ft. It was a great workout but I wasn't prepared for all that climbing. It was about 6 miles if not more (I stopped recording by accident at one point) At one point you hit the road but keep walking until you see the lake. Be warned and prepared. I think if you keep going around the lake and take the red trail back you might avoid the climbing but not sure.

some parts were fun and challenging but not much in the scenery dept. I thought by the name it would have some nice views and I didn't like having to walk about 3/4 of a mile on the road either.

This was very difficult to follow. Kept losing the trail and had to back track several times. Would do it again just because we weren't really able to finish it because we had to keep back tracking and it got dark. One tip is if you need up by the water on the road keep going the trail picks back up on the other side of the lake.

Great hike. Love the den, sitting above and watching the sunrise. Moderate hike. My dog appreciates it :)

This is a great trail with some very difficult parts. If you go in knowing that then the trail is a lot of fun!

Love this trail. It's not super worth it to go up the tory den, but we hike through the ledges, make some hot dogs and hike back all the time.

Top 10 hikes so far. Lots of rock ledges, streams for dog drinks.
3/16/16

Great hike! Loved it.

The trails are not marked very clearly.

Nice pond and streams. Plenty of rocky terrain. Definitely a good trail.

A challenging winter hike, a few short but intense climbs. A great little spot to check out!

Very rocky and lots of climbing and descending. Great hike. Slower paced for most of it at the beginning because your climbing/bouldering. Wish I tracked it.

With leaves down and covering trail, path is risky

geocaching