Suffield Mountain Trail

Suffield Mountain Trail is a 14.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near West Suffield, CT that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

A really fun trail run. I would think that it would be especially nice in the fall with the leaves changing color. As it was it was a dark rainy morning and it was still fun! I started in the dark with a headlamp and this made navigating the rocky, root covered trail a challenge – but if I wanted a flat surface, I’d run on the road. I want to give a shout out to whomever is responsible for all the blue blazes on the trees as these were a tremendous help in staying on the leaf covered trail in the dark. This is a very well-marked trail.

I started on Newgate road near the intersection with CT-20 (there is space for a few cars to park on the right side of the road and the trail starts up the hillside very near the intersection). I followed the trail uphill and found several nice overlooks, interesting terrain and a very peaceful forest. I only had time to go about two miles before turning around, but it was a great way to get outdoors in an enjoyable spot for a little while.

The trail itself is well marked and well kept. I started on the blue trail to the green trail to the metacomit trail. I never once saw the overlook, I'm not sure if I went left on the metacomit when I should have gone right but it was disappointing to not reach an outlook area. Also I parked at Sunrise Park.

great trail

Parked at the kid's fishing pond and took the trail after crossing the beach. Really fun trail, perfect for some quick, zen-like after-work exercise. The level part of the trail was incredibly rocky around the lake - challenging myself to quickly traverse the rocks amongst the mud was a welcome test of agility. Once you get to the blue marker (the metacomet I believe) take a left - you'll know which way, just look for the steep climb. This will take you up a quick several hundred feet in elevation. Never quite steep enough to need handholds but it does get close. I got to the top and back to the beach in about fifty minutes. If you're looking for a gym alternative with the bonus of fresh air and tranquility, this is a great choice!

It's a nice trail but unfortunately there isn't much view and if you aren't familiar with the area it can be a little annoying to find the best place to start. At least the weather was beautiful, and being with friends makes it a fun time

Parked on Phelps rd in Suffield and followed the Metacomet trail. Nice trail. Some nice views. It basically goes as far as you want to go. Connects to the Metacomet-Monadnock trail in MA which ends at the peak of Mt. Monadnock in NH.
Only thing....unless you are a resident of Suffield, you can NOT utilize sunrise park...by car or foot!
I would definitely do this trail again though.

The location of this trail on this app is off, I followed Ash B.'s directions and had a great hike with my pup. Took my time and did about 5 miles in 3 hours. Not a single person on trail!

Excellent hike up to a great view into the valley to the west. Well maintained, easy parking. The trail also bends all the way around the pond which is a pretty/nice way to get to the beach and see the pond from all sides.

Hi, I've been to the location before. So this is how you find the trail. The simplest way (coming from someone who is a local). Enter sunrise park, west suffield ct into your driving GPS. Enter the park, drive to the upper parking lot ( you will see a large pond ), park, get out, walk in between the restroom building and the pavilion you see there, once you are about to walk onto the back porch in front of you look to the right, that is the start of the trail, walk down, you'll pass a small chapel area, keep going, stay on the main trail, when you get to a fork, bear to the left, keep going, takes roughy a half hour to 45 to get to the look out from there. It's beautiful and worth it. There will be a box where you can even leave a note. I have never gone past this point but I'm sure it is a nice hike further on. Hope this helps.

Followed the driving directions but never found the trail. Need more info posted on the website to find the trails!