Leatherman Cave Trail

Leatherman Cave Trail is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Watertown, CT that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from April until November.

cave

I noticed other reviewers saying that they couldn't find the cave. When you are at the top, it's beneath you. Keep to the right, when the trail forks, go left. There should be a sign.

Gods

More than moderate. Climbing up rocks continuously was tough.

I forgot to add. The total loop of the hike that we did was 3.85 miles.

Moderate trail. We started at Blackrock State Park and headed towards Leathermans cave by crossing Bidwell Hill Rd. We took the blue trail around and over the top of the caves and then down around the entrance to the cave, eventually picking up the yellow blue trail. There were some rocks that were climbed and caves to crawl through. My friend had her 25 lb toddler in a backpack and was able to do the hike without too many issues.

Definitely a moderate hike. A few challenging rock climbs that had us crab crawling up. Overall, beautiful scenery and cave is definitely a plus. I did some reading up on "The Leatherman" before going. It brought some historical perspective to the journey which I found interesting.

Good trail, some parts were slippery

Definitely moderate hike. The trail was well marked with beautiful scenery all around. Trail ground-- some sections just dirt and many sections Rocky... big and small. Crab crawl down from rocks helpful. Extra caution needed in cliff like areas. Not a lot of traffic ... truly felt out there by yourself
Cave area fun to see and explore. Worth the hike. Coming back...easy!!

Beautiful. We hiked it from the side of the road, to the cave, took a different path back to the road, and ended up about a mile from my car. My children, ages 11, 9, and 3, loved it. My 3 year old had a little trouble climbing; he had to "crab walk" up. Our mileage total said 5.something miles. We're gonna feel it tomorrow!

super hard climbing

Pretty easy hike minus climbing up straight rock at the top

Fun trail. Cave is at the very top. After the peak follow the Mattatuck trail for ~100 feet and it will lead you through the cave.

I am new to CT BUT, I loved how this trail was very easy to read, very clean, clear and peaceful. We took the blue trail, brought us a very direct route to the top where the view was amazing ! Didn't find the cave but will be going back for sure

Was a awesome place to go for a hike but not some much with a 6 year old and I'm a little upset that I didn't find any caves.

I little tough for this early in the season, but beautiful.